Only The Strong sauce tek

For ultra high purity, diamonds could be separated, washed in cold alkane, then redissolved in MeOH, and insolubles removed via filtration, solvent recovered in a rotovap and then redissolved in an alkane for recrystallisation.

20 Likes

Why MeOH With a boiling point so close to our cannabiniod?

2 Likes

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but THCa would decarboxylate into THC long before it boiled (only data I can find on BP of THCa was a predicted range between 308 and 490Ā°C, and a predicted MP between 167 - 208Ā°C). I donā€™t believe validated and confirmed data has been published for cannabinoid BP/MPā€™s - establishing THCā€™s vapour pressure has been challenging enough as it is.

Either way, given MeOH boils at 64.7Ā°C, Iā€™d say the boiling points are pretty far apart.

The purpose of dissolving in MeOH is to remove impurities which might be present and are insoluble in a polar solvent like methanol - the filter and whatever is caught in it are discarded after rinsing.

The same can be done with the final dissolution of THCa into the non-polar alkane - this removes any impurities still present which are insoluble in a non-polar solvent.

A final recrystallisation could be done in mininal quantities of hot solvent. Iā€™m not sure if anyoneā€™s ever done solubility tests on THCa - and if they have Iā€™ve certainly never seen the data.

For a re-x, you want a solvent where the solubility of your target molecule increases greatly as the temperature of your solvent increases. This way, your clean sample of crystals can be dissolved in minimal quantities of hot solvent, and as the temperature drops, this alone should be enough to force the beginning of precipitation.

18 Likes

Thought it was a 157Ā° C thc boiling point. MeOH is still lower yes. I had accidently added 100Ā°C to it

No, thatā€™s a common misconception based on very old data where the BP of THC was reported under vacuum.

Most people donā€™t start pulling their main body in their distillations until ~200Ā°C+. With a very deep vacuum this temperature can be reduced even more ā€¦ but if THC boiled at 157Ā°C at standard pressure ā€¦ it would probably be much easier to distill.

Further than that, in this instance weā€™re talking about THCa not THC - two totally different compounds.

17 Likes

Ahhhhhh thatā€™s makes sense. :pray: thanks for explaining

3 Likes

So, after you jar your solvent/extract slurry, do you put your jars directly in the acetone/dry ice? Or do you have some sort of buffer container to put the jars in.

Put the jars directly into the solution. Dry ice isopropyl works better.

10 Likes

I use 99iso myself. I thought your tek up top said acetoneā€¦

4 Likes

It def said acetone. Thank you for bring that up. Its been corrected. :+1:

9 Likes

What psi are you using in pressure vessel?

2 Likes

Or maybe anyone have any info about it?

2 Likes

Im not using pressure vesseks yet. Will be soon. But generally the higher the pressure the faster and larger your diamonds will grow. While also achieving at lower temps meaning more terps retained. So push as much pressure as youre comfortable with.

10 Likes

What kind of pressure vessels are you looking at? I like the jars, no lids, in a pressure canner tek

19 Likes

I have a small collection vessel i was gonna use.

2 Likes

With jars, or just poured in the vessel?

2 Likes

I had the same thoughts, after I pulled the jar from the dryice/Isoalcohol I let it sit for 1.5hr loose lid, shut the lid and left it alone at room temp. Anywhere between 70f &78f inside in steele pressure vessel (lol yes Iā€™m worried about what we all fearā€¦boomā€¦) (in case jar decides to give out). Been 3 days so far today, and what Iā€™ve seen so far is a small layer of crystals forming at the bottom.

My question is will the lid pop first before the glass cracks/ is compromised, Iā€™m timid to place it at 80f in a oven.

1 Like

Ive heard the seal is meant to give out around 15psi so id imagine thats the first place it would compromise. I think there are forums online of people trying to carbonate beverages in them. This is why i invested in a diamond miner right out the gate. Yes its not neededā€¦i get it. But i didnt want to mess around with exposed glass in my house.

10 Likes

Just poured into the vessel.

2 Likes

Thats perfect. Honestly Iā€™ve done this countless times And Mercer had a lid pop. I make sure itā€™s no more than 1/3rd full when i start building pressure.

5 Likes