OK, what am I doing wrong with my salve?

SunnyG!

Thank you so much for the input and I’m glad to hear I am not losing my mind. I will measure with weights and over compensate by suggested amounts.

Are you 100% certain that your CBD crude is 659 mg/g?

Yes, I have had multiple test run with the crude that I make and that has consistently come back in that range. The other thing is my tinctures and oil test results are always spot on with my calculations so something is going on with the salve.

It rubs the lotion on its skin.

7 Likes

…and seriously: it is probably “the labs fault”. They are not extracting all the cannabinoids from the matrix you are providing.

Yeah, you can compensate, or you can work with them and have them spike your matrix and actually figure out their recovery rate so they can give you accurate results.

Most labs don’t care. Some may still be clueless (depends on market maturity). Finding a lab that will solve this with you may be non-trivial…

@kcalabs should certainly be able to work up matrix specific recovery rate for you. Probably won’t be free, but should certainly be worth your while.

9 Likes

A pharmacist friend went through 7 labs before she found one that could accurately report on the cannabinoid content of a product she had produced.

She lost about 6 months of sales because of it.

2 Likes

This is the one use case that you want to avoid a lab inflating numbers.

I’m not saying it’s the labs fault, just pointing out that sometimes it’s nice to pay for a super-accurate 0.01 LOQ that’s performed properly and honestly. Definitely non-trivial to find, agreed!

classic classic classic!!!

3 Likes

Thanks Cyclopath, I will challenge them and see what comes out of it.

I’m ready to put the lab down in the hole until I they get their results right! lol

3 Likes

I’m working on a couple months of lost sales. Trying to work through this has been very frustrating.

1 Like

“based on this math and your analytical work on my input cannabinoids, I don’t believe you’re getting full extraction from this particular matrix. I’d like to offer you a matrix blank so we can get this spiked/sorted…”

or something along those lines.

keywords being “matrix”, “spike”, “% recovery”.

keep asking for the scientific director or head chemist until you get somebody that seems to understand those terms.

where are you located?

3 Likes

I have been making salve for years. Whether you make it with flower or crude it has to be decarbed for it to be effective. You should think about adding EMU to your recipe. It helps get your medicine deep into the subcutaneous tissues.

1 Like

Cyclopath,

Well I took you up on your suggestion about challenging the lab and asked them to spike the matrix and figure out the recovery rate. (Had to do a little reading to even understand what I was asking for!). He agreed that this could be an issue and said he would and I just got the new results back and they came in as originally expected. Thank you so much for the advise. It is greatly appreciated!!

9 Likes

But did they tell you their recovery rate?

Tried to give you as much search fodder as I could :shushing_face:

1 Like

You did and you got me across the finish line! Thanks again!

2 Likes

No, but I have not responded to them. I will ask.

From the lab I"m dealing with:

We haven’t performed a matrix specific recovery test for your matrix so we can’t really know for sure, but it is something we can quote and do for you if you would like. We have done development work on the extraction process specific to their matrix and the results seem to agree with what they are expecting, but we would need to perform a matrix recovery test to be able to provide recovery data specific for their matrix. Thanks again and let me know if you have any further questions.

1 Like

Ask about the extraction solvent they use for this purpose…

And maybe they use a differenr collum not suited for such purposes?

If they dont tweak their m3thod youll allways run short…

We had a case of honey crude mix, years ago, that led us to a path of diversified preparation, where we allways ask of unorthodox samples to disclos their uncannabinoid contents, wich helped immensely .

Good luck!