Nutrient flushing and light deprivation pre/post harvest

@gobstopp I agree with giving your plants a good flush. White Ash is good Ash it doesn’t taste like trash. @Curious_Roberto is right though this opens up to a lot of opinions and expertise. @gobstopp you will get a lot of people saying different things doesn’t mean that anyone is wrong one style might work for one grower better than another. I prefer to do a heavy 21 day shuck strip them right down like your pic

2 Likes

Took the ladies down on Sunday. Ill be giving them a bit of a trim tomorrow, just some fan leaves.
Strains: Great white shark x ?, Instant Cookies x ? - I think

So I’m not sure whats going on with this one branch. I believe it was one of the tallest branches, with the light on it may of been getting too much light, bleaching and burning the light. At night we have had some cold temp, being one of the tallest, it may of gotten a bit colder then the other buds at night. That’s my guess, but i have no idea.

The top bud of the great white shark got very loose and spread out, seems very weird to me. too hot, too much humidity?

Single leaflets indicate a reveg. Messed up internal clock from light on/off issues, bad genetics.

1 Like

Could reveg be caused by plucking the majority of the fan leaves almost 2 weeks ago? Don’t believe I was getting a light leak. I can post picks of the room at night, I wouldn’t imagine it would cause a reveg

Garage with lights off

Closed off area where plant is. If the was on, it would look just like the pruned photos I posted

I’ve seen a few trains of thought here but I’ve not seen head to head studies of yield and % thc. I have seen studies for yields not increasing if you cut nutrient feeding the last few weeks. There were no discernable yield differences implants being fed the last few weeks versus plants not being fed. Also gcms testing revealed no more nutrients in the flower of plants fed up until the end versus plants “flushed” or not fed nutrients the last few weeks. What I have not seen are verifiable blind studies to determine if cannabinoid makeup changes any feeding vs flushing the last few weeks.

2 Likes

If the last pic (dark, with just a hint of light by upper left) is your flower room @ lights out, then yes, reveg city.

Lights out means that, dark. No emitting light from any source, even power strip led can cause reveg/hermie issues during lights out.

Some strains are worked by the breeder, some are just chucking pollen and getting beans.

4 Likes

I knew about lights from equipment and what not, I figured since the plant remains in pitch black with no direct light on it, that it be fine. My friend even joked that outdoor plants get way more moon light, even when its not a full moon, then my plant.

Oh well. I did the best I could, with my limited knowledge and my situation.

Wasn’t my choice, wasn’t really my grow, I was just trying to work with what i inherited. The plants were already 7’x7’ with the main leader of the cookies bashed against the light and browning out. I was able to raise the light 6" from where it was. I had to cut back the top, and train the branches away from the light, so they could grow up around the lamp, instead of right into a dead zone.

All is well, Ill be upgrading the space this winter and we will be starting fresh in the spring. Gorilla grow 5x9 can only do the 7’11" version because of the ceiling joists. Debating options for lighting. LED’s would be an expensive initial investment, but with the power saving, and with LED grow prefering to be hot, it would be easier to cool. Also considering CMH, have read lots of good stuff about those.

I have a 4x4x6 tent that i can use to veg, was thinking about replacing it with a 2x4 to save space, but i think ill need the veg space of a 4x4 :smiling_imp:

The moon is different, a porch light and or street ligh can alsonhave a reveg eefct on flowering plants.

2 Likes

**[quote=“gobstopp, post:28, topic:41469, full:true”]
My friend even joked that outdoor plants get way more moon light, even when its not a full moon, then my plant.
[/quote]

That’s an old myth.

Looks just as demon describes. Reveg. That picture is your eaves in “lights off”? You need to Seap up all those light leaks

2 Likes

Indoor rule of thumb

Go into your flower room @ light off, turn on all outside room light on. Enter fark flower room, close eyes for 5 mins. Open eyes. If you see any pin holes with light or any light, no good. Fix asap or hermies or reveg issues

3 Likes

Is a 630w de cmf the equivalent light output as a 1000w de hps? Debating 630w vs 1000w de cmf. For a 5x9 8’ tall, 3x 315w, 2x 630w, or 2x 1000w?

I’m also considering 2x hlg 600h. They claim to outperform 1000w hps se by 20%. I like the fact the led grows like to run hot, seem easier to manage for most of the year

Or 2x Grower’s Choice 1000W Double Ended CMH because they market the hood as working with CMH/HM/HPS bulbs, so I feel like it would give a lot of versatility

You happen to remember what percentage that 3oz was? In other words how much more (%) did you gain from plucking at 16 days? I’m curious about experimenting with that timeframe.

Pluck before week 3, then never touch a leaf after. No lower larf, all useable above popcorn grade nugs.

3 Likes

My personal experience is very similar to @Demontrich. Not sure about actual % wise, but I’d say the difference is no larf compared to when I wasn’t plucking.

I do two pluckings, one around day one, one right around the start of week 3.

3 Likes

What organic matter do you use?

compost and worm castings primarily… These go in at around 40% to old soil. I amend with whatever I have on hand each cycle, generally bone meal and guanos. Once a year I’ll amend with rock dusts (azomite, soft rock phosphate, greensand, gypsum, touch of lime) since they take much longer to break down.

1 Like

the 630w CMH are typically double bulb units or single bulb double arc tubes. the 1000w de cmh bulbs are single bulb either in a 2x 500w arc tube assembly or 3x 315w arc tube assemblies. there are no single arc tube CMH bulbs that i know of that are 1000w therefore you will not get the same intensity or penetration as a single 1000w. but if you have more light sources like 3x 315w cmh bulbs you get more cross lighting and better spread. Im still using 1000w DE Hps myself and typically pull 3lbs per light if i keep my atmosphere really stable.

Ive been defoliating the interior of my plants around flip time but i have stopped doing a second defoliating at 3 weeks. ive noticed i get roughly the same amount of “keeper” nugs as i did before but at the loss of larf and popcorn that i used to turn to distillate. basically my keeper bud stayed roughly the same but my distillate yields from popcorn and trim went down significantly when defoliating at week 3.

2 Likes

Definitly flush if your using nasty miracle grow…
As far as plucking go, i do 3 rounds for indoor grows, just two for outdoor.
Take 60% of the fan leaves off 3 weeks before.
Take 80% of the remaining fan leaves off day 1 into flower.
Take 80% of the remaining fan leaves on day 21.

Work on taking the fan leaves from the top first, so it opens up the most nodes, leaving the bottom ones to catch any light that falls between branches and nugs, u want to shave her legs too

2 Likes

Tonight all my girls get thinned out. Lots and lots of fans.

3 Likes