Noob looking for the best way to extract oil and resin

One can also achieve BHO with not much gear….

But it’s much harder to kill/maim yourself with a rosin press than with ANY solvent based process. Including water…You Can Use Espresso Machines To Make Marijuana Extracts

I recommend the books section in the Data Dump! (Scientific Papers) and supplementing that with a couple of books off Amazon.

2 Likes

Really curious about your take on rosin. It’s not one I’ve encountered.

Lots of folks with religious (ie not based on scientific evidence) objections to pretty much any solvent you can name.

Never encountered “CO2 might make poison” nor “rosin is damaged goods because: heat & pressure”. Can you offer any sources for folks who might share your opinion and/or want to dig deeper?

are you willing to explore the possibility that you’re wrong about rosin?

what temps do you imagine rosin is subjected to? Can you compare that to the temperatures used in any of the other methods you mention?

Check out I make terrible distillate....why? vs Rosin press go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Lawson’s creek cart spam

Hello. You have guessed that English is not my native language. I actually live in Europe. The regulatory environment is difficult because the law of my country prohibits the cultivation of cannabis. But EU law allows it. Explaining the legal environment in Europe would take a very long time. In my country Clinical trials for therapeutic cannabis just started a few months ago. I am eligible for these clinical trials. But this is all a bit too complicated. I prefer to do this myself. In practice the police do nothing against people who grow cannabis for medical reasons. Justice “tolerates” this. It is the resale that is severely punished with prison sentences.

To answer you I would like to use Ethanol (Ethane-1-OL) to do my distillation.

I already have a press 4 tons / 250 degrees maximum to make Rosin. But the Rosin does not suit me. I would like to create a better quality product without distorting the extract: with the Rosin press I heat to at least 120 degrees which distorts the initial product. The terpenes but also the medical effects are lost.

I think fine Ethanol it is a good product to do an extraction; because the extract will still contain the terpenes and the molecules will not be denatured. Gas scares me a bit more because of its volatility. I make my preparations under a laboratory hood which immediately evacuates the vapors thanks to a powerful suction. But I could totally go outside. I live in a quiet place.

Thanks for your help. Cordially, Dorian.

1 Like

I like this guy.

But, unfortunately it is not the best for terpene retention, either. It’s high BP and relatively standard methods of evaporation will dramatically reduce the terpene comtent.

If you had a small closed loop system. You could drastically reduce the risks at hand. Butane may be the best way to make what you are looking for.

Then again, you very well can make something fairly decent with 200 proof ethanol. You will have to get your ethanol beyond -40c for this, as well. Butane you can and could get away with warmer temperatures, but it just like ethanol, has less impurities in the end product when used cold.

Hello. So could you please tell me which device to use to obtain the best possible quality oil with a good yield? That is to say rich in terpenes and THC? CBD doesn’t really matter. The Swiss-CBD company sells extracts of all types of extraction. Just consume it after consuming the THC. I don’t like to smoke. The electronic cigarette is a way to smoke when I am not at home. My favorite thing is vaporizing the oil with a vaporizer. And especially consume the extract in food rich in fats. For example in homemade cookies it is perfect.

6 months ago I was able to attend a distillation in a laboratory located in the Netherlands. The extraction was done with iso-propanol as solvent and the device used was a Roto-Vap. The end result did not really want to be eaten given its almost black color. On the other hand, there was 82% THC in the extract with a very good yield. This laboratory was then the subject of a report on Netflix (The subject was how to exactly dose the amount of THC). But I’m not sure if it’s available in the US.

We started out with the ethanol bucket tek. This is suitable for oil extraction suitable for edibles and most needs:

2 Likes

Cannabis contains very rich and complex fragrances (terpenes) just like olive, rose, or jasmine. So I compare cannabis to what I know… How to extract oil from the olive? With very strong cold pressing. When hot pressed, the oil becomes toxic. It is therefore used to grease certain mechanisms, but not to be eaten. The rose should never be crushed. Otherwise it will rot very quickly. It must be constantly oxygenated then the perfume is extracted with a giant still; and the solvent used is ethanol. And jasmine (one of the most difficult plants to extract its fragrance from) must be extracted with a CO2 extractor. Or with fat because its fragrance is lipophilic.

Isn’t it the same for cannabis?

But at the same time there is a yield problem because I don’t grow much; only 3 cannabis plants at the same time.

**So I would like a solution that meets the following criteria: **
**- Extract rich in terpenes **
**- Extract rich in THC **
- High yield.

I don’t need a big extractor. An extractor that can treat 250 grams of organic mass is more than enough. And I haven’t really set a budget because all the devices that can process such a small amount of material are affordable. Except the CO2 extract which is very expensive and beyond my means.

Thanks.

Hello.

So you think that closed loop BHO extraction is the best way to get the product I want and have a quality oil rich in THC, terpenes and with a good yield ???

I can do this setup. But outside. I guess the closed loop is for keeping a certain amount of gas; isn’it ?

Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

For edibles, ethanol is perfect for that. Does require a roto evaporator.

Isopropyl is used frequently for extraction because it doesn’t pick up plant fats, not needing to be chilled for extraction to avoid vegetable oils. But, it does have an affinity for chlorophyll, hence the dark appearance. It is not recommended for vape or edible products. At all!

Quality stainless parts is the best place to get a small lp gas hydrocarbon system. He ships internationally and provides great service.

This would be the easiest and most efficient way for you to get your home medicine into a vapeable product.

3 Likes

You may be distilling the ethanol to get it back, but you are not distilling the cannabinoids.

So we refer to it as solvent recovery to distinguish it from using an spd.

See: The Glossary / Ideas and chat

2 Likes

Did you press flower?

Isolate kiff first. then you can probably lower your temps a smidge (guessing your temps were in C?)

See eg: (70C!)

If you’re looking for edibles with terpenes, dig into direct infusion into edible oils (linked up thread)

If you’re looking for inhaleables, then hydrocarbons (propane,butane,pentane) will yield better than rosin
…But with increased risk.

Ethanol is a decent solvent for both edibles and inhaled medications, but it’s not gonna get you the monoterpenes.

3 Likes

Still kills terpenes upon recovery. Better, but highly meh.

2 Likes

No argument there. “Better yield than squish”

Just pointers to Has anyone tried running cold pentane in a centrifuge designed for ethanol?

Undoubtedly

1 Like

I highly suggest the method linked below if working with hydrocarbons scares you. Ethanol is great for familiarizing yourself with the fundamental principles and practices of extraction, and @TheLostBiologist has laid all out in an easy to follow, step by step guide. It is honestly one of my favorite posts ever made to the forum by anyone, ever.

You can make really good, clean medicine with this process, and you can use it in absolutely any way one could imagine (dabbing, vaping, eating, etc.) Don’t feel like you have to use hydrocarbons or settle for squish to get what you want. It can absolutely be done with dry ice, booze, cannabis, a little magic dirt, and some time (plus a few small pieces of equipment like a rotary evaporator and a decent vacuum).

1 Like

The picture you posted is distillate. From what I’ve heard it takes a shit load more material than 1lb to make a good match of disty.

1 Like

Fresh frozen, a stainless steel thermos flask, small jars, butane/propane lots of ventilation, freez everything that comes in contact with flower.

Fill thermos with fresh frozen, add solvent, time 20 to 30 minuts, than pour over a couple of coffee filters at a time (I use 3 coffee filters at a time, if they clog up I get fresh ones) into a glas beaker to evaporate and eventually pour into a small jar.

From here on it depends on what you want to get as final product, dry out/vacuum purge for shatter or cap jar at the right time for crystals.

( Edit, if you dont want shatter dont evap to quick over a large space like a pyrex pan, or you wil have to heat up later til right consistentancy at the expense of some terpenes.
I stay under 35c-40c the whole time.

And the freezer I got is max -40, like the most basic household deepfreeze I could find for this

For honey oil consistentancy I keep it tick in a little jar till everything evaporates and then I purge and cap.

But over time some thca rich honey oils will do some crystalization when kept in a container.

I find the crystals with sauce, easier to smoke and handle, les sticky on smoking papers )

For everything over 50 grams you should never openblast.

Thats how I been doing it, been ending up with decent crystals so far (everything is for personal use)

2 Likes