No dry ice

I dont get the relevance? I wasn’t talking about pumping the ethanol, and I want to get way colder than 33 degrees . Want my solvent to be at least -5 to -10 . Ideally -20 to -40 . And i want it to keep basically keep that temp for about 5 -15 minutes , the longer the better .

@44northorganicfarms here ya go…

Again…

Use that to pump ethanol or methanol through a jacket.

Bro get a girl friend or something

I have a open jacket like the dry ice type on my material , and my tanks are just in buckets . But I appreciate the tip :pray:

You can continue to act emotional and bitchlike or you can actually read and digest my comment.

Lol

If it’s open at the top like this download (8)

Then that’s a sleeved column not a jacketed column . The people who use these usually pour a slurry down it to flash freeze the column

Jacketed columns are closed and have an input and output to re circulate chiller fluids or cryo fluids.

3 Likes

Sorry u are correct it’s sleeved, I always fuck that up . But I do the dry ice ethanol method currently. Was just trying to get away from the dry ice . I use a 1 lb closed loop so driving an hour 30 min to make a oz or two of shatter is hardly worth it . Would be nice to be able to do a run when ever I want with out needed to wait for the store to open , drive to the store , and then rush to do as many runs as possible before my ice melts

1 Like

See my previous comment(s)…

Or go active and just rock regular ice. (But this wouldnt solve your problem with chilling solvent for injection)

My issue is I want to run with cold butane still . Shooting for at least -5

1 Like

Look into setting up a system for lco2 or ln2. Thats my 2cents.

Enjoy your night!

1 Like

I do that with denatured or antifreeze. Im not a scientist, but I think alot of energy is stored in the phase change of ice. Regular ice gies me alot more cold energy than a similar volume of much colder alcohol or glycol. Those warm up fast while straight ice gets as cold and lasts longer. When you use salt it gets cold, is cheap, and like I said, a couple bags ice cool more than 2 gals denatured.

2 Likes

All I neeed is cold enough to go to colection and then to recover. Its not how cold. Butane recovers great on salty ice. Ice stores alot of energy in the phase change IMO 10 gals of denatured alcohol would warm up quick and has llittle energy absorbtion vs ICE. Again, im prolly wrong but thats my observation. using propane or mixes ice isnt as good but seems to work too. I think I use sodum chloride? the pet safe walkway ice.

1 Like

Have a look at potassium chloride :wink: and it s mixtures with ice
If one wishes to use these ice baths I recomend using a plate with holes in the bucket at 1/4 of the buckets height to let melted water. Run treu
Most of these ice mixtures work best on with ice with little or no water present

2 Likes

All salts can be reused once dryied :wink:

Have a look at the content salt of dry-rite dehumidifiers often a cheap Home Depot source

2 Likes

yeah I use the ice to make the bath itself, I put ice and salt in and it melts and then more ice, I dont add water. I may do different if the dry ice place sold fried chicken and was closer- I go to popeyes chicken for the 1 dollar ice bags. 5 bags can do 2 full runs, I have a freezer helping too.

2 Likes

Reading treu I wonder if we are using dry ice with solvent at it s best temperature Eficcency
As for color and extraction -40C or colder seems enough
As for recovery I wonder if -78C is needed
The question would be at what temp does butane boil under hard vacuum ?
And if indeed this temp is higher than -78 C
Is using a diffrent solvent wich mixture with dry ice gives a higher temp a better use for our purpose enthalpy/ heat exchange/ heat loss wise ? @TheGratefulPhil what’s your intuition saying ?

1 Like