Nitrogen assist dangers?

Nitrogen pressure doesnt change with temp

6 Likes

I ran lastnight and my gauge completely froze over night came back this morning and i cant see it whatsoever. Took it off ice and been burping by feel. Hoping it doesnt cone up to room temp and i end up with problems. Have a prv

First, spray some isopropyl alcohol on the face of the pressure gauge. That should melt it till itā€™s readable.

Second, the colder it is, the lower the pressure is.

Third, if thereā€™s a prv on it, it will do its job as long as itā€™s rated for colder temps. And hopefully it is set at an appropriate pressure (Iā€™m gonna assume youā€™re using butaneā€”in which case 75-100psi is fine depending on the setup)

1 Like

Yes, but if the nitrogen is left in the headspace of a tank that heats up, the tank will have a higher pressure than if nitrogen wasnā€™t present.

4 Likes

Are you vacuuming down your system before each run? Are you drying your solvents during recovery?

Two common reasons for gauge failure are pipe vibration and water condensation, which in colder climates can freeze and damage the pressure gauge housing.

The delicate links, pivots, and pinions of a traditional gauge are sensitive to both condensation and vibration.

Your pressure gauge is done.

If you have the extra cheddar switch to a pressure sensor. Here is an example. The only thing i dont like about this one it will not go down pass -14.5. If you go this route research for one that is compatible with the solvent.

1 Like

Thank you. I think i meex t o switch all the oil gauges out. I didnt cut the nipple off the top cap and i think that jad a part in it

Yes i vac down my system before every run. And recover as much solvent as possible. Had it iced and running for 4 days straight.

1 Like

I totally had a glycerin filled guage pop the top and spray all tge vg out. It was on my coil in a slurry. Took it out of the slurry and stuck it in water to recover the coil. When i did that POP

3 Likes

Dry gauges are preferred over filled gauges for this specific reason.

5 Likes

Whats even the benefit? The needle cant jump thats it?

Tuesday was MY 1st day running it myself. @Unicorn_Theory1 has been guiding me. Btw thank you bro! But that was my 1st bho extraction ever on my own so im still very wet behind the ears and clueless in most way. I read as much as i can but the experienceā€¦ Hands onā€¦ Is the biggest part and there is an endless amount to learn. Thank you everyone for guidance. They told me after i bought the 1st set of gauges about them freezing. #hfs

Hfs was the guage that blew out on me in the same exact way. Hfs has some trash things like guages and valves.

4 Likes

Yeah the hamlet me downs leakā€¦ 2 runs and out comes the wrench

damn thing thawed and still works lol

1 Like

My dude you have huge mistakes i see in your pictures. The PRV should be facing in a vertical postion. Its not an efficent spot . Im betting a part of your gauge failure is due to that Tee connector. You need to have the gauge and Prv on seperate NPT ports. TBH the way your prv is set up just take it off. Your system overpressurizes than your risking it spilling into your ambient air. just use a seperate hose and recconect where the vacuum pump is at and run it out sideā€¦ slowly crack the valve.

1 Like

The liquid filled gauges are good for hydraulic systems and such, the fluid provides damping for vibration.

Hamlet is a good valve brand, all valves need the packingā€™s tightened including swagelok brand valves. Cold temps shrink materials and cause leaks there is no exception to this.

3 Likes

Hamlet no longer has a packing nut and are unservicable and are made in china now :sob:
Check out this thread.

Start at post #49 for the info i speak of

2 Likes

That depends on the hamlet valve model you speak of, we use hamlets on our products. ā€¦alot of them. All of our intrigal bonnet style needle valves have a packing nut you can adjust.

H300U NEEDLE VALVE ORDERING CATALOG INFO.pdf (708.9 KB)

Hamlet has 14 branches and 4 subsidiarys around the globe, I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see that some of the inventory comes from china.

2 Likes