Nitrogen assist dangers?

the insides of the tanks arent flat. They are ovalled. Just the bottom is flat like that to prevent the tank from tipping over.

7 Likes

Well we do soaks because we have noticed that are yeilds go up with the soaking method over just running straight through, which is why Iā€™m trying to figure out if I use n2 for the pull through assistance over my recovery pump

oh god, what did the inside of the tank look like after that!

3 Likes

just sorta how it looksā€¦the bottom stretched it looked 2-3mm

3 Likes

n2 gas wont replace a recovery pump if that is what your asking.

7 Likes

So I will still have to use my recovery pump to pull the rest of the solvent out of the material after I have introduced solvent and n2?

1 Like

What I normally do it let the solvent soak and then at the end of the soak I use the recovery pump to pull the rest of the solvent out from that soak then soak it again. Will I still have to use the recovery pump to do that part of my soak or will the n2 replace the recovery pump until I have to recover the solvent ?

Unless you are running passivlyā€¦you can do it both ways. Either passive or pump to recover your gas. n2 gas is only meant to boost injection pressures, if you have a pump why not just hot loop?

3 Likes

whats the point of saturating the biomass with solvent, only to evaporate it without letting it go into the collection pot?

1 Like

Itā€™s how the boss wants us to do it, we have noticed that yeilds go up when soaking, I get the whole recovery part with my pump, what Iā€™m trying to figure out is if I use the n2 in replacement of the pump for my pull through not to recover.

1 Like

The soaks flow into the collection pot while it soaks, we have noticed that we loose out on 2-3% yeild or more when not doing soaked runs. At the end of each soak I normally use the recovery pump to pull the last ofbthe soaked solvent out, I am wondering if the n2 replaces my recovery pump for that process or do I still use my recovery pump to pull the last of the solvent out of the soaks. Wont the n2 going into my recovery pump cause an issue ?

you guys need to weigh you in going an out going material from your extractor, that will help you track your ballpark yield. It sounds like you have either too little solvent in your system, or your packing method needs improvement. By tracking the yields you will find the sweet spot for packing efficiency. you shouldnā€™t have to soak if you have dialed in those factors.

If you are running a recovery pump you should have a preinject coil in a dry ice slurry and your tank in dryice as well. Hot loop your tank and keep the cold solvent flowing through the extractor untill you are satisfyed with the extraction, then recover all the gas back to the tank like normal.

This is a great resource for a basic theory on closed loop extraction.

5 Likes

The pump wont mind the n2, but for the sake of over pressurizing your system donā€™t do it. vent the n2 and recover with the pump.
you could also start with a hot tank and inject through a coil.
How much solvent / material is in there?

4 Likes

50lb tank and up to 5lbs of material, we pack it tight but not super tight in the material column. We have just noticed that soaks get a better yeild versus running straight through, even if we lightly stuff versus stuffing tight. With the soaks we gain anywhere from 5%+ on yeild. We keep track of material going in versus end product and always average 15%+ when doing soaks when running straight through we have been averaging 2-3% less

1 Like

Welp, you can use the n2, and burp it after your done, or keep using the pump to generate system pressure.

2 Likes

I know that I have to burp the system before recovery. Was just unsure if the n2 replaced my recovery pump to pull through the solvent before recovery. Thank you very much for all the information it is more then appreciated.

2 Likes

The person @cyclopath was referencing in his post of caution called me in a panic. Before I had even seen the pictures, my immediate response was that if there has been any deformation of the tank, discontinue use immediately. It was not the response the person was hoping forā€¦ it seemed he did not know that a PRV could be plumbed. He said he wasnā€™t using one because he didnā€™t want to off gas into his extraction room. I think heā€™s also running pretty warm, and Iā€™m not exactly 100% clear on how he is running his process. Hereā€™s the shots he sent me:

Edit: Almost like he knew I was talking about him, he called me right after this was first posted. He said the he pulled the chilling coil and let the pressure build to allow it to push itself through. The higher PSI, the faster the run. He got distracted, and by the time he noticed, it was too late. To be clear, it was not nitrogen he was using, but the lesson remains the same. If the integrity of your gear is compromised in any way, DO NOT USE IT!

Your life and the lives of those around you are worth more than any piece of equipment, no matter how much was paid for it. If your supervisors tell you to keep running and you know it isnā€™t safe, do yourself a favor and find a place that cares about keeping you and everyone around your facility safe. If your gear is compromised, you are in danger! We live in a time where there are no valid excuses for compromising your life to earn a buck!

17 Likes

Any recommendations on o2 sensors and n2 regulators?

1 Like

I run an ETS an use N2 assist with zero issues. That system can take the pressure, but I still donā€™t like going above 120, 150 max. Do you have two vapor ports on your solvent tank?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got three ports total one for out and two for in. Iā€™ve just got a basic brass or copper regulator Iā€™m using but wondering which regulators are better