Nitrogen assist dangers?

I now operate that way

1 Like

The prv on my 25lb tank from oss is 125 psi, I believe

2 Likes

I may had gauge fail last night due to nitro and CRC

The rubber stopper on my glycerin filled gauge shit out w force. Scared the shit out me. Leaked my VG out the gauge. I’m sure was from to much nitro or something

1 Like

what is the max psi on your vessel? does it have pressure raitings for different temps? What solvent blend are you useing?

1 Like

I use whip premium lately which is tri blended i believe

I thought the vessel rating was 300psi but @Killa12345 would have to verify. I imagine the gasket blow out first but I’m not sure.

if it is raited to 300 psi put a 175psi releif valve. 175psi is higher than your solvent tank should ever get with that blend, and lower thann the failure pressure of the vessel. Get a Valve that has a hard seat, the soft seat ones tend to leak at low temps.

8 Likes

@Soxhlet does Stainless Steel Low Pressure Proportional Relief Valve, 1/4 in. MNPT x 1/4 in. FNPT | Proportional Relief Valves, R3, R4, RL3, and RL4 Series | Relief Valves | Valves | All Products | Swagelok qualify as a hard seat PRV?
Edit: Could someone clarify the difference between a hard seat PRV and a soft seat PRV?

https://www.opensourcesteel.com/products/inline-pressure-relief-valve?_pos=1&_sid=64343bd5f&_ss=r

For adjustable this is the cheapest, they usually have in stock. Also has a place to Hardline it Incase it burps u can burp outside ur area

4 Likes

Oss goes to 150

1 Like

I wasn’t absolutely certain. I knew I was in the ball park. Thank you for the correction

Our system is a oss and they come standard with a 150 psi the inline ones are way better then the basic cheapo ones so you can hard line the burp out ofbthe work area for safety reasons, but honestly a little over kill.

3 Likes

Hard seat mans that the valve seat is made of metal, in this case you’d want ss. The valve will perform better/ longer/ lower temp if the seat is made from stainless.

3 Likes

based on the fact that it has a fkm seat no, check out the lubricant in that one… woulden’t want that in my system. Look for a special cleaned and packaged lubricant free option from swagelock with a hard seat.

What psi range are you looking for?
depending on your budget you could get one of these and clean the hell out of it with hydrocarbons, everyones favorite ketone, and an alconox bath followed by a deionised h20 rinse.

https://www.grainger.com/product/15X849?gclid=CjwKCAiA__HvBRACEiwAbViuUyXmtLEOu2JvVJQl4ovEe1W8sw7YBKxHWWt0_aBGuFsTCpIbvO6lSBoC2h0QAvD_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=CjwKCAiA__HvBRACEiwAbViuUyXmtLEOu2JvVJQl4ovEe1W8sw7YBKxHWWt0_aBGuFsTCpIbvO6lSBoC2h0QAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281698275819!!!g!472324140703!
Make sure the one you get is in a useable pressure range for your system.

6 Likes

Im shtting down my system. Some how the pressure gaige on my solvent tank completely froze ive been burping off pressure as the dry ice melts. When would the n2 be likely to cause most pressure?

1 Like

Is the solvent vessel on ice?

You listen for the audible difference between nitrogen bleeding and the solvent boiling.

4 Likes

Nitrogen pressure doesnt change with temp

6 Likes

I ran lastnight and my gauge completely froze over night came back this morning and i cant see it whatsoever. Took it off ice and been burping by feel. Hoping it doesnt cone up to room temp and i end up with problems. Have a prv

First, spray some isopropyl alcohol on the face of the pressure gauge. That should melt it till it’s readable.

Second, the colder it is, the lower the pressure is.

Third, if there’s a prv on it, it will do its job as long as it’s rated for colder temps. And hopefully it is set at an appropriate pressure (I’m gonna assume you’re using butane—in which case 75-100psi is fine depending on the setup)

1 Like

Yes, but if the nitrogen is left in the headspace of a tank that heats up, the tank will have a higher pressure than if nitrogen wasn’t present.

4 Likes

Are you vacuuming down your system before each run? Are you drying your solvents during recovery?

Two common reasons for gauge failure are pipe vibration and water condensation, which in colder climates can freeze and damage the pressure gauge housing.

The delicate links, pivots, and pinions of a traditional gauge are sensitive to both condensation and vibration.

Your pressure gauge is done.

If you have the extra cheddar switch to a pressure sensor. Here is an example. The only thing i dont like about this one it will not go down pass -14.5. If you go this route research for one that is compatible with the solvent.

1 Like