New to etoh. Wondering if this would work

So I’m pretty good with bho but I have never done any etoh. Currently I have about 10# of trim and 10# of kief that I’m blasting and turning into shatter gummies. I’m wondering if I could convert this to etoh and free up my closed loop. I’ve done a lot of reading and Its pretty conflicting what I would like to do is a warm etoh wash to get to the end product. My sop would be something like this

Rinse product

Winterize till no more fats fall out

Filter over ac and bennonite clay?

Evap/decarb

Pretty much the lost biologists tek but warm In my eyes this would be no different than blasting warm going through crc then into dewaxing chamber so the resulting product would be similar but some what I’ve read makes believe that this is not the case.

So I’m wondering if this would work?

2 Likes

That’s about the jist of it yeah. Any more specific questions?

2 Likes

I would not suggest running a warm extract etoh solution through a CRC column fwiw. At the very least winterize it before you scrub it

1 Like

Sorry when I read that I thought u were talking bucket tek. Are you trying to run etOH through your closed loop? My bad :man_facepalming::sweat_smile:

Yea that’s not my plan I was just comparing what I hope to do with etoh with what I’ve seen done with bho. I’m looking to make a similar product as bho with etoh

No I’m trying to do that bucket tek. I’ve read through that thread and a few others. My end goal is to make something similar as to bho. Ideally I would like to do a warm wash. I’m wondering if what I planned to do would yield me a similar product as bho would make or if there’s something I’m missing with warm wash etoh

1 Like

Bucket tech ftw on a budget. Warm extraction is problematic and requires multiple time and labor intensive steps (winterization) afterwards. No need for media (powder) filtration.

Winterization doesn’t seem like to much trouble for me and I was thinking of filtering it over clay and carbon because I seen in the lostbiologist thread that it pulled some colour out. My end goal is something similar to shatter so what other steps would I need to do to achieve that with a warm wash?

1 Like

I wish you the best of luck. That’s a tough road to travel

2 Likes

The warm wash is the biggest problem in everything your saying. Why not just extract cold enough that you have little to no post processing.

2 Likes

Because this is a side project to me running a cls. If the biggest hurdle is dewaxing then in fine with that.

I guess I could do a cold extract. Was just wondering if it was possible to do it warm.

Side question to doing a cold wash. Would I be able to fill a large vessel with etoh and dry ice and dip multiple bags of product into it? Haven’t seen that mentioned in my short readings

1 Like

Run in it warm. In my experience people on here make it seem like a bigger deal than it is.

When I startex doing bucket tek I used dry ice. Eventually decided it was easier for me to run it warm and winterize and filter later.

To answer your question on running cold.

Yes you can dip multiple bags. You can keep going as long as long as you want. You just gotta keep everything cold, all the time. Make sure your bags are prechilled. Depending on the volume your running, you’ll need more prechilled solvent to add. You’ll lose solvent to your material and it’ll eventually get saturated.

If you’re just doing 20lbs, I’d have to agree with everyone else. Cold is likely easier.

I switched to warm because with large volume I found the effort of keeping things cold overwhelming, and I couldn’t keep up with solvent recovery. Cold etoh holds a lot less than warm.

All this to say there’s many ways to skin a cat. You can get great results either way its just a question of what’s easier/what you want to do.

1 Like

I prefer to run at room temp and worry about winterization later. Diff strokes for diff folks

6 Likes

Bucket tek is fine. I would still run cold. Drop some dry ice in your etho first. Most yield difference you see is undesirable compounds.
And if you want something close to bho cold extract followed by an AC scrub is best.
Most crc products dont work with etoh.
In a past life i used etho to scrub crc columns for a 2nd use. The etho is to polar to let go of the junk.

2 Likes

You can run up to 3 or even 4Lbs per gallon depending on your bud quality and ethanol recovery options.
For example. I ran a cup 15
You run 3x 15lb bags in the same 15 gallons.
There was minimal loss acording to yield and in house testing.

3 Likes