Need help with oven tek

I just got an oven but I don’t really know how to use it. My goal is to get some clean terpy absolute shatter, with quality starting material of course. I have read a lot about it, but I am mainly just looking for some good suggestions and help.

Some things for clarification

1. My understanding is that a thin film allows for easier evaporation of solvent. How thin?

2. 95F preheated oven is my understanding for shatter. Is that correct? What about vacuum? How deep do I need to go to get clean shatter and keep as much terps as possible?

3. Flip and/or Whip? Useful? If so, how often?

4. How do I know I have clean shatter? Obviously, no more bubbles, but is there any other signs?

5. I typically purge the bulk of the solvent with a roto. I assume nothing about 95F here too, and lower pressure. What is a good point to cut from the roto to the oven? I would assume just enough to easily get it out of the flask.

6. I’ve read things about bumping the vacuum when alcohol bubbles get big. I do not understand what that is. Can anyone clarify?

7. Do I turn turn off the pump during the purge? If so, when and for how long? How often should I reopen the value and pull vacuum again?

8. Typically how long should I expect to purge a sheet of shatter? I understand things are based on a lot of factors.

9. I’ve read it was important to depressurize the oven slowly. Is that true? How slow?

I’ve really been trying to put together a basic SOP and I have run into all these questions during my research.

Thanks in advance for all your help

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Oven tek SOP criticisms welcome