Nanoparticle application potential

@Jako1717 There is a multitude of resources and discussions for nanomaterial cannabinoid products on this site. You only need to search “nano” and you’ll find them.

Its not a new application in the industry whatsoever, but that doesn’t mean its reached the end of its potential. Best of luck.

6 Likes

Thank you. This is what I needed to hear

I’ve worked a little bit with β-cyclodextrin cannabinoid complexes. Superior to liposome based emulsions, IMO.

5 Likes

do tell @mitokid

First off, I don’t consider liposomes to be true “nanotechnology”. The matter you are dealing with is much too heterogeneous and very dependent on what liquid phase it is dispersed in.

Cyclodextrin complexes are often close to stoichiometrically defined with a CD/cannabinoid ratio close to 2:1. The cannabinoid molecules are truly separate from each other, many CDs are GRAS, Generally Regarded As Safe, and are finding more and more use with nutraceuticals and have been used in pharmaceutical formulations for quite some time.

Cyclodextrin complexes are true nanometer “objects”. One can argue they are the prototypical version of nanotechnology.

Liposomes is more like washing your clothes technology. At least to me.

And they are easy to make, resulting in free-flowing powders. I mean the CD complexes.

13 Likes

CannabinoidCyclodextrinComplexes.pdf (961.0 KB)

7 Likes

Nano is a buzzword thrown around for any number of treatments/tech to increase bioavailability. Some people just emulsify and claim it’s ‘nano’.

In actuality, whether something is ‘nano’ or not is only a function of the actual particle size of your dispersion. Just because the particle size is small does not mean it is more bioavailable either. The complexing agents are as important as the size, both in terms of stability (particles can aggregate to larger sizes during storage, or even precipitate out of solution alltogether) and efficacy.

There are lots of different techs; emulsions, liposomes, and other macromolecular complexes. There are several that offer improved bioavailability.

6 Likes

Call it what it is.

Fancy mayonaise.

6 Likes

Fancy infused mayonnaise

3 Likes

I’ve found I had to use a high CD:cannabinoid ratio to get it to work with a few different CDs, and could only get up to a few mg/mL when dissolved. Tried kneading, melts, and evaporation. Any tips for better complexing with CDs?

2 Likes

My ex wife used to make her own mayo. She was an insane chemical engineer. She bitched at me if I whipped the oil in more than one direction. “You have to build the colloids!”

4 Likes

I was branded by a chef for stirring the polenta in two different directions at once,
Dude took a hot bowl from underneath a heat lamp and rolled it across my bicep- he hated rolled sleeves too.

He didn’t say anything about colloids though, just that his italian grandma would have done me worse if she saw me pull that polenta stunt.

Maybe his grandma was a chemical engineer.

6 Likes

I make my polenta in the instant pot, because fuck them all.

3 Likes

Heresy.

You have to develop the starches

2 Likes

All CD complexes I’ve worked with were given to me. I haven’t made them myself. Most were in the 12-15% range cannabinoid (w/w).

I was told by the producers that their manufacture was “easy”. Maybe there’s a trade secret involved? If so, I don’t know about it.

Did you read all the original literature on CD cannabinoid complexes?

3 Likes

It’s funny because I know about food and you’re right

1 Like

Cyclodextrins alone don’t allow very high potency. But if they must be used alone spray drying gives the best redispersion in my experience. The kneading method is the worst. Randomly methylated beta cyclodextrins have worked well for me at a 2:1 ratio with CD to cannabinoid.
If you can make nanoemulsions with high energy input and you find they are bitter the cyclodextrins can be used to create Pickering nanoemulsions they help mask the taste well.

6 Likes

That would be my first choice if I had to try myself. Do you have a good source for them?

I had a conversation with a Phd chemist specializing in pharmaceutical nanoemulsions. Mind you, he makes a living developing and selling these technologies. The point of the nano particle size in cannabis is to make it more stable in an aqueous mixture. It does not increase bioavailability.

Many companies mischaracterize the nano properties of their products for marketing purposes. We produce nano emulsion beverages, but do not claim increased bioavailability. However, some competitors in my market claim increased effect because of nano particle size. They either do not understand the technology or don’t care if what they say is accurate.

5 Likes

it all depends on the type of nanoparticle. The best tech I saw (which was claimed to be patent pending) was using bile salts, which are what are secreted by your gallbladder to assist in the uptake of fats.

The size of the particle will absolutely effect the uptake between the aqueous stomach contents and the stomach/intestinal wall so I’d disagree strongly there…

4 Likes