MTA Chiller to Unistat915W

Call me if you have any issues, that bypas and those pipes look A-OK for the application you are using it for.
Not trying to throw shade guys, but I wouldn’t listen to @Dred_pirate or @TheGratefulPhil on their suggestions.

A ball valve for tour bypass will work and will NOT void your warranty.

You just need to watch your pressure gauge in your MTA to ensure you do not exceed 45psi or so.

You really shouldn’t need too much pressure in your system, at all.
You are only rejecting 20 or so KW.
Your MTA has over 34KW cooling capacity.

You only need consistent heat rejection, not massive capacity.

On the send side, it would be wise to insulate your lines using PVC/EPDM rubber foam insulation.

I’ve installed over a dozen MTA’s, and 2 dozen Hubers.

Their sales reps, and techs and I are on calls every week or 2 for new sites I am getting online almost monthly now.

This is the way.

The M30X1.5 is equivalent to about 1” so that’s why I say 1/2” PEX is a no-no. Your PEX in the picture is 1”.

Also, you have the appropriate back-pressure valve on there.

Yours looks fine to me

2 Likes

Battle of the engineers in…3…2…1…

5 Likes

MTA pumps have no issue with running on under sized lines. Their process pump motors are very reliable, and usually far overrated for their applications.

You would need to reduce your line diameter to meet the Huber diameter either way.

Running a main 1" line would be a good idea, but he is reducing down to the Huber inlet size regardless, causing flow restriction and back pressure.

The inlet line on hubers is an M30x1.5.

30mm is about 1.2”

And while MTA pumps are indeed robust the installation manual specifically calls out the need for a back pressure valve. All he’s got is a manual bypass which you could technically throttle once the flow reaches steady state but with the massive temperature fluctuations in OK (I.e. 72 this morning now in the high 90s) it’s not ideal.

2 Likes

Lol those are not massive temp fluctuations, especially for fluid systems.

35°f to 100°f would be massive.

Even then properly diluted glycol solutions wouldn’t have any issues overcompensating the expansion/contraction. Nor would the viscosity cause any damper on the process pump for the MTA.

MTA’s are workhorses. I’ve rarely ever had one have an issue.

Overengineering is cool. But financially unnecessary for alot of applications.

I don’t think that upgrading a manual bypass to a back pressure regulator and upsizing your PEX to the right size is overengineering—it’s just engineering.

Also—not a costly endeavor at all. A few hundred bucks tops.

My PE would also ream me if I just said “good enough, let’s just ignore what the manufacturer recommends”.

I also still wholeheartedly believe it would lead to premature equipment failure. Just one engineers opinion.

Edit: also you didn’t mean to throw shade but you so did—does it help that I’ve also designed piping for, and installed dozens of MTAs and Hubers in my tenure as an engineer? Or did my adherence to manufacturer recommendations (aka overengineering) disqualify me from providing engineering guidance to people.

What a crock!

5 Likes

Won’t lead to early failure, I’ve installed these like this numerous times, first one was in 2018, and that ones still running perfectly fine to this day.

MTA has overlooked numerous of my installed before, and I’ve had both Huber and MTA offer employment to me as a service tech :sweat_smile::joy:

Over engineering is what engineers do best.
Engineers are almost NEVER good businessmen, lol, frugal is not in most engineers vocabulary.

No where in warranty underwriting does sit state the diameter of pipe must be a certain # lmfao.

Alright man, if you prefer to undersize pipes and choose manual control over mechanical control be my guest.

If I hired you and saw that you just let a bunch of that shit slip I wouldn’t be too pleased.

Different strokes for different folks.

2 Likes

Every one of clients is greatfull for my services :rofl:
I get people in the DM’s daily asking me to clean up other consultants messes lmfao.

I think anyone of my clients would say the same, with zero exceptions.

But I don’t cut corners either :innocent:

Will work but is not ideal, a ball valve should never be used in a partially opened state, a needle valve is the correct choice and actually allows for fine tuning. what engineer would ever suggest a ball valve for a line that requires throttling?

It would be a lot wiser to insulate the supply AND the return.

Throttling a 1" line to 3/4"" is a lot different than reducing 1" to 1/2" I truly cant believe you would suggest leaving it like that. But since you have done it before it must be the right choice right?

That’s BAD engineering!

4 Likes

Maybe not the water cooling lines. The chiller feed and return are the M30x1.5 I think the cooling lines are 1". Let me go grab a picture.

Edit:
The cooling feed is the same size as the pex.

The chiller (behind the ice. Next time I defrost for cleaning I’m going to put removable insulation over it, shoosh.) is the M30x1.5, going down to a ¾" hose.

Exactly like this one, but blue.

Kinda like this one, but different.

Side note: I have a spare aec 18kw heater if anyone is interested.

1 Like

I believe it was 3/4" but MTA does recommend 1.5", I am planning on having them replace it with 1.5" but it goes into 5/8ths(?) I think when it connects to the Unistat. That was one of their recommendations.

And I agree with you, that’s why nothing will be ran until it’s all setup correctly. The pictures @Dred_pirate added and your info are super helpful. I do feel their recommendation to bypass this is just a money grab

I promise you it isn’t. The whole purpose of the bypass is to ensure constant pressure.

When you’re dealing with a $110,000 chiller—why cut corners?

3 Likes

Sorry not the bypass, I mean their idea of getting me to buy the 500 gallon water tank and chill that, that was their “bypass” of plumbing this thing correctly. Should’ve used a better word.

Yeah that is for sure a rip-off. Sometimes they are egregious with the overengineering.

2 Likes

Not going to lie, I would use a needle valve personally but if you’re looking for a BPR, here’s a suitable one for $75:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Control-Air-700BP-Back-Pressure-Regulator-1-2-NPT-250PSI-max-/185409747226?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

5 Likes

Are you sure that BPR would fit?

I am trying to locate a brass version of this BPR with 1.5" in/out, I think it is acceptable to step down to 1" based off some conversations I’ve had, but still can’t find a BPR like this that’s under $1800, is that insanely high for a tool like this? Never bought one.

Thanks again

1 Like

It can be plumbed remotely and really doesn’t need to handle the full flow rate unless you deadhead your process. I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work for this application