Mostly Sunny with a chance of Precipitating Sugars

I have concerns about the use of MCT in most candies. In chocolates, it more or less works the same way as PKO, so no worries there. Have you tried these recipes sans cannabinoids? If you haven’t I strongly suggest you try, as MCT does weird things to candies.

My suggestion, as I have stated in another thread somewhere, is to weigh out the cannabinoids (distillate) needed for your batch and add a small amount of ethanol (NOT denatured) to loosen the product enough for smooth homogenization. We never used anything more than a whisk to homogenize, and we nailed state testing on every sized batch, every time. We also never added preservatives. They were never on the shelf for long enough.

Edit: Sorry it took me a few days to respond. I’ve been busier than I care to be.

3 Likes

@Akoyeh – thank you, excellent advice! I’ll try thinning the distillate with ethanol instead of MCT and see how the candy turns out.

1 Like

Just make sure to boil the candy for long enough to remove the alcohol. You shouldn’t need more than a few ml to appropriately thin enough distillate for even a large batch. Just make sure you thin it enough to get most of it out of the container too. I used to buffer ever so slightly for transfer loss when adding the dosing to boiling candy. How much loss you have will depend on how large your batch is and how much you dilute it. If you want to get fancy, you can always use organic.

Edit: Removed redundancy

3 Likes

Hello, did you find how long sugar precipitates reaction takes .
I was reading you previous comments and I found them very interesting.

Sadly, I do not have any hard data of exactly how long sugars take to crash from solution. My general observations are that after warming, mixing and cooling the tincture, it seemed to take a few days to a week for me to stop seeing increases of precipitate.

What ended up helping most was upping my filtration process. Once I started cold filtering through a bed of T5 and AC, my problems with sugars seemed to more or less stop altogether. I’m no longer with that company, but I do know that they continue to use my methods and do not have problems with sugars anymore.

If you’re having issues with sugars, I am happy to talk you through the things that helped me. También hablo Español, si se prefiere (o que sería más facil) utilizar otra lengua.

6 Likes

I can attest to this working brilliantly for the sugar issue. Thanks again @Akoyeh

1 Like

I’m happy to help anyone having these issues. All one needs do is reach out. Glad it’s continuing to serve you well, @Shockwave! T5 and hardwood AC is a truly magical combo when used appropriately.

What is the mixture of t5:wt? I’m sure the answer is around here on the forum but I figured I’d ask anyways just in case it’s not (I haven’t even looked, yet) :stuck_out_tongue:

Sugars are soluble in water and water is imiscible in hexane. Cannabis is miscible in hexane.