Making higher quality crude

Yea they would just be added right to the solution. I dont know exactly how much to use of the mol seive thats why i previously suggested using MgSO4, when it incorporstes water into its crystal structure it turns from a white powder to clear salt crystals. In other words you can visually identify that youre actuslly binding up the water.
I think mol sieve beads will absorb the water faster though.

3a molsueves When wel dried Will pick up 20 % of their weight in water so a little calculating of volume and a alcohol purety meter
Gets You there

2 Likes

Alternatively, you could also use an air-lock like brewers use to release CO2. The S shaped ones are my favorite. Fill them with ethanol instead of water, in case there is negative pressure. Shouldn’t have issues with the airlock evaporating over night.

2 Likes

Make sure you add the dessicant after the solution has no more co2 evolving from it.

1 Like

It’s worth mentioning 3D media like celite will be WAY faster than just trying to use paper of the same micron size. The only drawback to celite would be having to de-gas the ethanol before filtering, and even then you might have issues with the carbonic acid in the ethanol reacting with the celite and fucking up your filter bed. I’m actually working on getting an extraction vessel with an insulated sleeve around it to avoid adding the dry ice directly into the ethanol, that way I can directly filter through celite afterward and save a ton of time. I’m assuming you’re using buchner funnels now.

It’s worth looking into pressurized filtration or even centrifugal filtration in the future (the search bar has plenty on this, but I need to find a specific thread related to this anyway, so I’ll link it here when I find it). Especially for the rough filtration post-extraction just to remove the biomass particulate as fast as possible before it warms up. Removing that while it’s still cold prevents a bunch of crap getting into your product that you spent all that time and money to avoid with the cold extraction in the first place.

2 Likes

Found it!

1 Like

Carbonic acid has the ability to react with the celite?

Ive had good results using a stainless strainer filter assembly to remove plant material particles from solution before it has a chance to meet up with the celite

In my experience (and lost biologist said he experienced the same) celite tends to fizz and bubble when exposed to ethanol that had dry ice in it. At first I thought it was the bubbles screwing with the filter bed, but when I used a bentonite and AC bed instead, I didn’t have any problems other than is being many times slower. I think my celite has a high ph, hence reacting with the acidic ethanol.

2 Likes

Gotcha, im gonna try and see if i can observe any reaction when i add concentrated phosphoric acid to some celite to confirm its the ph alone.

4 Likes

Did you just do a straight up filtration or did u remove the water?

Do not throw it away, it could contain a good portion of cannabinoids.

1 Like

Thats how our SOP is laid out, and you are absolutely correct - filtration. I need to pick up some things to be able to remove water from the process which will all be when I get the consumables ordered and approved.

They have tested the byproduct before, and it contained near 30% cannabinoids! Thats why I wondered why they tell us to throw it away…
Things move ungodly slow in this department sometimes, if I had my way I would have overnighted products to start using immediately

1 Like

OK so I ran the sieve under some warm/hot water and all of the materail in the sieve disappeared. I could tell there was some oil still remaining because that immediately came off the sieve and clung to the stainless inside the sink, but the sediment is completely gone.

Water soluble. Bentonite is definitely needed in my filtration process after a reaction in order to fix this issue. I have a feeling the owners will easily accept all of this information

Is it okay to use hexane for extraction in your state?

1 Like

that looks like water solubles to me! bentonite is your move to fix that

2 Likes

Or Any other alkane ?:grinning:

1 Like

Yo scoob @ScoobyDoobie
If You had a choice alkane or alcohol extraction Wich would You prefure ?

I prefer alkanes all da fookin way.

3 Likes

Ok out of pentane hexane or heptane Wich one and why ?

1 Like

I like pentsne more so than hexane or heptane because it evaporates much faster.

Thanks G!
I plan on purchasing some T5 this coming week, and AC for some trial runs.

Would you recommend just filtering thru a cake of T5 or throwing into the biomass and liquid itself, and then filtering?

I want to see if I can pull some of those cannabinoids out of the byproduct I saved that we normally toss. If the previous COA showed 30-40% cannabinoids trapped in it, at a byproduct weight of 200g, that’s an estimated 60-80g of cannabinoids we’re tossing!

I may pick up some zeolite as well, just so we have some in our arsenal.