Making extract like glass

I’ve also found that many users prefer their extract not to shatter into little bits and fly across the room.

Some like the consistency of sugared extract. it makes it easier to load their pens.

Others have caught on to the fact that less stable extracts usually have the best terpene profiles. So long as the residual solvent results are clean, pull & snap or sap are not “mistakes”.

6 Likes

Keep in mind that it takes hours to raise temp in a vacuum oven. When you are not under vacuum, the temperature is wildly unstable. Preheat your oven to 110-115°F and let is sit there, empty of product and under vacuum for 2-4 hours. Quickly vent and load the oven. Close the door and pull a vac again.

5 Likes

Whats your column, material, and solvent temp, are they jacketed, do use dry ice, in my experience plant wax makes that issue, I couldn’t get out if you was getting everything at least-55f. That would help tons about locking up some the plant wax

2 Likes

I have found the bogart ovens do not allow for a full muffin which may or may not have influence of overall stability of product. If product is able to fully muffin and hold at that vac, sample has most surface area to shed hydrocarbon residual. Less potential to sugar, due to length of time in oven is not as great. I see daily flips help reduce oven time needed. Definitely material dependent. However I agree with everyone else that tricome color is an absolute influence. Old material equals darker color.

2 Likes

Plus if you have never tried the old school heat gun tech on each flip I would highly recommend it. After you flip slab lightly apply heat gun 6 to 8 inches away and using brush strokes as not to apply too much heat in any given area. Slowly watch wax contract and turn to swiss cheese. You can even allow sample to cool by putting in fridge for short period and flipping again and repeat. After doing this process some strains will contract into that stable swiss cheese shatter. However too much and you will suger.

3 Likes

I definitely agree that the older the darker, but I’m sure he has to be getting super cold, that’s been one the best things that helped me achieve glass like, and extra filters other than the shitty metal ones, I still use but I add extra ones after that

1 Like

And regardless terps are more runny, a straight n butane mix into the negatives with everything…
Then… Then after solid purging, hell I don’t go over 90 for shatter, and I never let muffin by fully reacting at room temp then the 90 before slowly getting up to full vac…

Then and only then you can just say that the strain being run is never gonna be shatter, that does happen, to much terps ,cell structure, something, yadda yadda I don’t know that much but I know that some strains just can’t achieve that bc there terps/THC/CBD/ other things we don’t know yet to do with the plant. If and then you just have true snap and pull, which some ppl are instantly turned off by there UNknowlegdable feeble minds

4 Likes

Muffened sample has little surface area on shelf, the only part of a vacuum oven conducting the heat needed to help release solvents. Thinner spread vs a muffin 99/100.

1 Like

100 ways to skin a cat. However a muffin has more surface area than a pour or even worse a scrape left at room temp on the counter. 100% the idea with the vac allows the pour to have a more three dimensional interaction with sample. I never specified length or time sample was to remain a muffin. With simply playing with my vac levels I can achieve the same thing you do in a few minutes, rather than leaving on counter all day. Again 100 ways do accomplish anything.

1 Like

I’ve found purchasing my cats skinless & boneless reduces the work required to turn them into muffins. they are only slightly more expensive than the skin-on/bone-in variety.

18 Likes

Yeah I run a pre chiller coil in dry ice and alcohol. I’m gonna upgrade to a bigger coil. Lately I’ve been running just ntane. I have noticed it does make a bit of a difference.

1 Like

Hey man, did you ever get this figured out? Im doing almost everything your doing except sometimes i soak for 1 hr to pull out more fats. I can relate to everything in your process. I have this problem with really good flower every crop and only the really good flower with a huge nose does it. Result is clear/yellow pull & stretch or syrupy sap that sticks to your fingers. It is the best stuff to smoke… yet impossible to market. I have been considering getting my 100% n-butane to boil in my jacketed seperator at tempertures between 120f-130f towards the very end of my reclaim in hopes of evaporating off the terps. I think it is a safer practice versus applying higher temps in the ovens that risk nucleation. Im using cheap chinese ovens right now smh… (replacing with individually heated shelved ovens) I have tried purging in my oven at 115f or 120f and its still like fruit roll up. My hopes are applying higher temps in the seperator. Im pulling my hair out!
Im really hoping one way or another we can help each other solve this if you already havent

Just to clarify i like reclaim my solvent around 90f and purge in my ovens around 90f.
Everythings i work with comes from the same farmer same room same technique

1 Like

Pay me 10k and i will show a licensed company step by step how to make glass of the highest purity that is stable in the sun.

If distill wants 10k for something stable under the sun then I have an sop that’ll let go for 1k

7 Likes

So over the past year we havent learned to much. just seems some strains come out more soft then others. I do notice a consistency in results based on the farm we get our material from. we’ve also noticed that the better the starting material smells the softer it usually is. so i’d say its definetly a terp issue. we run 3, 60ft pre chilling coils and a jacketed column. we really cant rum much coulder. sometimes we get glass some times we get sap. I’d stay away from using just ntane unless the material is supper fresh. it pulls less terps, and will improve stability. but it will always be a litte darker. its a nightmare sell. running 70/30 at least gets a better color, and even if its a little softer, at least it will sell eventually. we store all our material in a drying room with a dehumidifier and an air conditioning running 24/7. we try to get the material as dry and as oderless as possible. we then run as cold as humanly possible. soaks are ok as long as you have a jacketed column. our product isn’t always ideal, but we sell almost all of it at this point. next we are going to try this chromatography tech everyone is talking about. thats gonna be a game changer!!

5 month old material never frozen…want more glass like slabs! Just dry material to dust! Terpenes cause the pull and snap effect! So if ya want it more glass like it’s in the cure!

5 Likes

Damn looks nice do you do consulting?
@Mastercoolkeif

1 Like

Id be willing to work with ya.

1 Like

Hit me up!

I have 3 dry rooms. I get all my material down to 30% under a air conditioner also.
I only blast my own stuff for the most part and its fresh like 5-10 days old. Frozen after dehydrated
I didnt say above but i do NOT scoop or scrap my product from the separator anymore. I actually have a spout at the bottom of my seperator, i have sprayed every slab for the last year.

Ive never used a 70/30 mix yet because im getting enough terpenes lol. Im open to try whatever tho, ill probably order a bottle soon for experimental purpose.

I just wanna say thank you all for your responses, im happy i have finally signed up, i have used this forumn for over a year now

1 Like