Making an air scrubber

I think a high flow duct fan like what’s used in a grow room might not perform very well under a load. What fan were you planning on using?

Here’s the cart I’ve made so far.

I just parted out a 12in inline fan for the motor:

(I fell asleep thinking about this stuff lol)

1 Like

We had an issue with powdery mildew in our indoor grow space. Along with big dehumidifiers and more fans. I built air scrubbers.

I took a pair of these: Amazon.com

and attached them to this:

I put one filter on the bottom, stacked the fan, and other one on top. It’s freestanding. I made 6 units like this and placed them around the facility in dead-air pockets (a stick of burning incense is really handy in finding those). It has been over a year. No more issues. I have one in my lab in the area where we grind weed for prerolls. The fabric pre-filter is always full of kief :grinning:. I’ll take a picture of mine when I go to the lab later today. It was an easy, quick, effective fix. They are really quiet, too.

3 Likes

Sweeeeet, thanks!

I need to do something in that basement, even before the flood I know there was a bunch of undesirables floating around down there.

I really want to improve the air quality in my home now.

1 Like

Scrubbers can be very easily made. The only reason they’re expensive is because they’re built to be portable/durable/stackable. They also need to have outlets so contractors can daisy chain them together in places that don’t have power.

The filter system itself is easy to build if you plan on just keeping it at one location.

Can fan HEPA filters, inline fan, and a charcoal exhaust filter for growing. Or just put a smaller charcoal filter in the can fan. You will need to swap the charcoal out a lot more if you’re just using a small one. I’m sure someone here could show how to build a DIY filter so you could just buy a bucket of AC and make your own.

Slap some flexible ducting on to exhaust wherever you want or on the other end to make it easier to move the intake around without moving the whole setup. Seal off the whole thing with aluminum ducting tape. You probably don’t want to mess with the air pressure of your home so you should try to keep the intake and exhaust neutral unless you know how to fix negative pressure. If you start exhausting messing with negative pressure in a room you’re going to pull a lot of junk out from your walls/ceiling/attic etc

2 Likes

Yeah, no negative pressure for sure, just cleaning the air in the home.

This all definitely gave me some inspiration!

My fucking home air is gonna be so clean!

2 Likes

Exactly. I’m adding a pair of the inline fans above the ceiling with one filter on the inlet and the other providing make-up air when the exhaust fans are running. I’m pulling a couple of inches of vacuum in there. It’s a building inside a building layout and I sealed it up tight. Maybe a little too tight. With the exhaust fan running, it’s hard to open an exterior door. I have little dust trails at the door seals, from pulling in unfiltered outside air. Not ideal at all. Air balance is an important part of the equation.

Yeah you can make the air quality worse if your fresh air supply is insufficient. It basically will get forced through every crack in your home.

Just run it totally neutral like you would a regular home air filter. So it’s just turning over the air within that one room.

2 Likes

I can mail you a hepa filter and carbon filter directly from our air scrubbers, if you cover shipping.

And imo you most def want the basement at a slight negative pressure…this causes fresh air to cycle through, which is really important when it comes to drying…

One small fan won’t be able to cause infiltration from your attic and wall cavities ime.

5 Likes

With an air scrubber, I wouldn’t think the pressures in the room would change much. I’m running a 3000 cfm exhaust fan. That’s where mine is coming from, not the scrubbers. I mentioned it to point out need to balance air flow. I didn’t mean to add confusion or get off topic.

1 Like

I don’t see why people want to exhaust to another room.

If you want to clean the air in a room, just run it without ducting in or out of the room.

If you have exhaust to another room then you are just replacing that air with new air and there’s no point in filtering the air.

If you want to restore the air quality in another room, just move the scrubber to a new room. Run some extra fans to improve circulation and agitate any dust so it can get cleaned while the scrubber is running.

2 Likes

Exhausting outside.

Maintaining air flow since he doesn’t have dehumidifiers at the moment. Running an airscubber in a room with highly saturated materials and high humidity will do nothing to help the dry down. That room will still mold out. Regardless of the air scrubber “helping air quality” you will still have microbial growth form due to saturated materials and RH

If he had dehumidifiers in place I would agree with you!

4 Likes

I’ll def hit you up on the offer!

I’ll text ya about that in a bit.

And I have negative pressure running now down there.

I can see the plastic sucking in on the doorway I have taped up. Right now because it’s dry out I’m pulling air in from the open basement windows.

1 Like

That’s what I would be doing, utilize the dry air as much as you can. If the containment is pulling to hard cut an x into it, to relive pressure and allow more airflow from the unaffected area. You can tape a furnace filter over hole if you want, but it’s really extra since the room is pulling negative pressure.

Another good thing for containment’s are those stick on zippers. Make for easy in and out and seal things up a little better than a double flap style.

2 Likes

I completely forgot about those, getting one now for sure

1 Like

What’s the dimensions of those filters?

Imma start planning this box lol.

I will measure them here today. Splitting wood right now haha

Should be in the next few hours

1 Like

Here’s one of mine. The inlet side is the bottom on this one. It’s at the entry door to the lab from the office. Looks like I need to wash that bottom one. I just noticed it.

5 Likes

Laminar Flow Hoods use squirrel cage fans typically when you DIY them.

Add a UV lamp to the plans and maybe it could be dual purpose…

2 Likes

I remember people talking about building those for mushroom cultivation.

I’m actually getting excited to do this haha, my gfs dad has a proper shop space we can use too

1 Like