Low Cost Chiller Ideas

You could use it in addition, but it’s like using two weed wackers to mow your lawn. Best cheap way is liquid n2 through the counterflow.Or get a chiller that will be adiquite.

I’ll have to try it out. Ln is out of the question atm and i have these two chillers already. Just got started, can’t go hog wild with a recirculation chiller that can go that low. Hence all these questions. I’ll be able to upgrade eventually. :slight_smile:

Your best bet is getting a cryogenically insulated vessel. I was taking with @cyclopath last night about them. It might let your struggle chiller get enough of a head start to win the race!

Like a double jacketed reactor to pull a vac outside the inner chilled jacket? That would prob be the solution

Yeah, doesn’t have to be a reactor though. There are a lot of good used,insulated, jacketed stainless steel process tanks out there.

I’m gonna start looking.

Do you you think it would be better to use the heat exchanger with ln2 for preinject with hydrocarbons, or go straight to jacketed columns on cls? And if I am understanding correctly, you bleed out from ln2 tank either to a inlet on heat exchanger for preinject, or to inlet on column, and then outlets would be vented outside? Would it be possible to fill 2 columns if doing so?

The jacketed column/ prechilled solvent via heat exchanger or jacketed tank is the way to go. It is nice to have a jacket you can cool, this adds flexibility to your mahine. If your running passivly you need to burp your n2 out of the system otherwise recovery will take forever. I use two tanks, one is loaded with solvent and n2 gas, the other is empty and under vaccum. As you inject from the first tank the solvent goes to the collection pot and turns to a gas. The gas is recovered in the second tank. After injection a haskell pump moves the n2 boost to the waiting solvent tank, and the recovery pump takes the now empty tank to a vaccum. this saves on butaine and n2 because the one nitrogen charge is used all day.

3 Likes

Sorry to pick at an old thread but you say you can just fill the jacket with ln2 till it flows out the other side, then the jacket is full. But correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t the state change from liquid to vapor be constantly occurring so a steady flow is needed?

In this quote I am describing how my pasive hybrid systems work with n2 as an injection/assist gas.
I have also talked about flooding the jacket of an extraction column with ln2 to prechill it before extracting. It is an easy procedure, a low pressure dewar tank of ln2 is connected to the bottom port of the jacket. The top port is connected to a hose, which leds outside. Liquid is added from the tank till it is seen that the ln2 is exiting the top of the column via the hose. This method is good to strike down a column before hitting it with cold solvent. It is very important that the top vent be unobstructed, watch for water ice that may block the expanding gasses.

I’m am somewhat familiar, I used a counter flow heat exchanger with co2 from an industrial cylinder, but that would not retain liquid it just blow out the end, do you think this was from the pressure about (850psi) coming from the cylinder?

you have a high pressure co2 tank.
low pressure liquid tanks like these will make lots of cryogenic liquid.Airgas - NI 180LT230 - Industrial Grade Nitrogen, 180 Liter Liquid Cylinder

Absolutely a dewar would be a much better option, figured that was probably the hiccup.
On a side note how do you feel about putting a coil filled with nitrogen into a bath and running a pump to pump the liquid around? I would use the LN2 directly but supposedly you shouldn’t with tube style heat exchangers

You can absolutly use a heat exchanger, it just needs to be correctally designed. make sure you dont freeze your heat transfer fluid solid in the exchanger/coil.

1 Like

Good stuff, because I may be wrong but theoretically there would be unlimited kw of cooling?

the only limiting factor is the amount of tanks you have

1 Like

Is it possible to run a lno2 loop thru a closed jacket, rather than venting it outside and wasting it?

It’s going to heat up and expand so if you want a bomb and even better a highly flammable bomb then yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

no, vent the jacket. try to read more about liquid nitrogen, its very dangerous. If you aren’t sure post a picture so someone can help.

good luck!

Nitrogen is not highly flammable, but dangerous regardless due to the rate at which it expands, container rupture, and due to the risks associated with its liquid form, severe frostbite, and the risks associated with its gas form, asphyxiation.