Looking to expand my evaporation systems

From what I’ve seen of the FFE system from BZB and the rising film system pinnacle sells, and expect this of almost every FFE/RFE out there, they don’t reduce the ethanol completely out of your input “tea”, they reduce it to approx 90-95% crude 5-10% ethanol so it can still be pumped out of the evaporator, you will still need a rotovap or some other processing equipment to get the last bit of ethanol out and IMO, should decarb in there as well, otherwise your SPD/WFE operator is going to be real unhappy with you. So I’d say FFE in conjunction with a rotovap for the last 5-10% of ethanol is your best bet.

Also if you are expecting a cheap roto to be anything resembling “good” right out of the box, you’re in for a world of hurt. We’ve torn covers off our 50L Chinese roto chillers and augmented their (shitty) fans with box fans for more cooling power, use an oil as a thermal fluid, added fluid preheaters in the heating reservoir and built a slurp tank to remove crude without having to pull the evaporation flask and all the risk and hassle that entails. There’s plenty of content on here about how to improve cheap rotos like this thread: Optimizing your RotoVap

2 Likes