Liquid separator instead of molecular sieve

@GrandBlancDank here is the separator I use to protect my Corken.

There are other pics further up the thread. It is basically two diptube traps hooked in series.

No mol sieve at all in the system.

No water issues in multiple years of running this way.

Used to run lots of fresh frozen this way for a few years and had no water issues.

I am still using the same tank I have for years and no rust.

8 Likes

It’s a lot like the way ETS should have sized their “expansion” column.

Does it get filled with resin or water?

EDIT: Read more. These are almost the same as ETS’s design, funny enough. Better sizing for vapor, but almost identical in concept

I should put this here for reference:

4 Likes

If anyone needs any of the fittings and such for this setup, give us a shout!

2 Likes

Why not run a test column…with ACID , perhaps HCl just to protonated the supposed “amine” …and trap it in the water phase.
Evaporate a portion of the water phase in the rotovap…
And Bingo…the amine salt is in the jar. Identify it.
The problem I see…are volatile amines…for instance you can certainly smell an aqueous ammonia solution.
But if you protonated it with HCL you can not….???

Just a thought…

I still don’t get the mole fraction aspect of the amine hypothesis.

Open minded….

If you were to prepare the cyclohexamine salt…and then run it standard procedure HPLC RP DAD…will you see the counter ion on that gradient?

Can we purposefully poison a crystallization proceed …like the
Pentane you did with known amine…?
As such…in design we have to sit down and think about what we are doing…as just adding amine changes pH and ionizations state of COOH.
And are we looking for a “non ionic “. H-bonded complex….?
Do we have a clear picture up on the board?

Best…

2 Likes

Whether or not we salt it out, collecting the culprit in water IS being done! I have requested of those who water wash their butane (or their 13X mol-sieves) to concentrate a volume of water with ‘wtfamine’ by using that volume as the first in every set of multiple washes. If the volume is large enough, you can be sure that I will take samples of it to run several different experiments! :wink:

2 Likes

I do free acid testing and bioassays. Hmu

4 Likes

@Tech1145

This was never answered, does it collect water or just hash ?

1 Like