Lipid infusion with hydrocarbon material columns

Strain specific gummies is on the same level as CBD pillows to me.

5 Likes

Preach

2 Likes

I remember seeing this:

4.1.1. Humans

d-Limonene is absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract. Two male volunteers administered 14C- d-limonene at 1.6 g orally excreted 55–83% of the dose in their urine within 48 h. The major urinary metabolite isolated was 8-hydroxy- para-menth-l-en-9-yl-β-D-glucopyranosi-duronic acid (M-VI, Fig. 1) (Kodama et al., 1976).

2 Likes

So here we have the actual blood-borne metabolite, the question being is it as active in the entourage sense as the parent compound?

1 Like

So… you taste them right?

Great question. I’m of the opinion it has some sort of effect. I know I feel better when I eat fruit regularly. Obviously that’s no evidence but in the absence of it, I’ll trust my gut.

Pun intended.

1 Like

Ummm… yeah? So are you saying that the taste is what triggers the entourage? I mean I’m sure the gut dopamine starts pumping from taste, not so sure the brain dopamine does.

also this… (noted the dose is enormous)

4.2. Toxic effects

4.2.1. Humans

Five healthy male adult volunteers who received a single oral dose of 20 g d-limonene all developed transient proteinuria, non-bloody diarrhoea and tenesmus. The results of other functional tests of the liver, kidney and pancreas were normal (Igimi et al., 1976).

1 Like

Not that large compared to what my roommates mother took when she decided to drink from the bottle stored in my freezer.

She downed a quarter cup as a “shot”

And spent the next three days pissing orange fire.

That was a weird phone call to field at 3pm on a sunday.

“What was in the freezer that was not vodka?”

1 Like

I’m not sure I can answer your question directly to your satisfaction but here’s a writeup on my experience:

I have a buddy who has worked with me on infusion for over a couple years. At first we mostly made gallons/drums of MCT-hemp(CBD) infusions—and have received countless feedback from folks who are familiar with the effects of CBD that say “this works way better than anything I have tried.” Entourage effect.

More recently we have ventured more into thc rec flower. My buddy is much more of a rec cannabis connoisseur than myself. Despite smoking cannabis for 15+ years, I have a low tolerance and just am simply not built to discern strain-to-strain effects, for whatever reason.

So my buddy notices all the time that oral consumption of his thc infusions generally produces the same strain specific effects that he feels when smoking the same strain.

For the bubblegum-MCT infusion, which I took a mL and got massively high from, he confirmed that 0.5mL was a strong dose and that onset was also incredibly quick — 25 to 30 minutes. (Since, he has backed off to 0.25 mL.) Supposing that terpenes from infusions enter the blood stream only via the gut is a bit premature, in my opinion: he notes (observed by me too) that absorption occurred primarily in the mouth—maybe some in the esophagus. The bubblegum-MCT infusion has a very very light mouthfeel—it seems to just vanish when it hits the tongue, mouth. I think this in part may arise from the high potency of rec flower compared to hemp – the oil more readily absorbs trichome content than plant cell compounds. Infusions made with low quality hemp, especially when using plant-cell breaking mills, can leave some heavy aftertastes in the mouth (yet still produce high anecdoctal therapeutic benefit).

Delivery method is obviously important for infusions, and there are numerous possibilities—the infused oils themselves, gel caps that definitely get absorbed by the gut, solid capsules via oil-absorbing powders (e.g. tapioca maltodextrin), gummies, solids via spray drying nanoemulsions. Search google scholar for ‘terpenes AND nanoemulsion’ to see that this is considered to be a viable delivery method for terpenes. I have about 200 mL of a water-soluble nanoemulsion made from a hemp/cbd MCT infusion by Industrial Sonomechanics. The taste isn’t fantastic (prob because it was hemp) but also isn’t terrible. With quality rec flower I expect nano emulsification of lipid infusions to blow the doors open on delicious, full-spec THC beverages.

I prefer to be a chemical engineer so I don’t typically dive deep into the bioavailability/metabolism literature. I find that Synchronicity/Functional Remedies has one of the better blogs out there touting the whole plant/lipid infusion approach. Of course it is a little biased but their articles also link to peer reviewed publications that you may find helpful:

[https://synchronicityhempoil.com/what-are-terpenes/]

[https://synchronicityhempoil.com/what-are-flavonoids/]

[https://synchronicityhempoil.com/pinene/]

[https://synchronicityhempoil.com/beta-caryophyllene/]

[CBD Oil Blog | All About the Benefits of CBD Oil | Synchronicity Hemp Oil]

All told, oil infusion is a very inexpensive, tractable means to bring the efficacy of a quality grow to retail. It easily scaled and geared towards empowering growers, not the equipment sellers—because the equipment and methods needed are so damn simple.

1 Like

I’m looking strictly for literature with both identification of the metabolites and preferably with the amounts making it to the bloodstream.

I appreciate folks anecdotal data, but with the sheer number of potential genotypes of individuals it makes it hard to compare one persons effect to another.

2 Likes