Let’s talk silica

Anyone have any heavy metal issues using AgSil? We sent a sample out for a bag we just got and it came back with a good bit of lead, arsenic, and mercury in it. I’m corroborating that result now because I’m not sure I believe it yet, but I figured I’d ask if anyone else has had similar results.

1 Like

It’s totally possible as a natural input.

Even if there are heavy metals,there’s probably a couple reasons why people are passing testing. 1) the product (including heavy metals) get greatly diluted before application. 2) The use of chelators (fulvic, EDTA, EDDHA) and complexors (citric acid, aminos) allow the plant cells to more easily expel elements and minerals not beneficial for growth.

If there’s any question, tissue and sap sampling from a place like New Age Laboratories can show you what impact an input like AgSil has on your garden.

4 Likes

The reason I’m a little dubious is that the result was from a cannabis lab and previously we had done a round of testing with a couple of very good enviro labs that came back ND with an LOQ in the ppt levels. That being said, this is a new bag so :man_shrugging:. This is why we test before there’s an opportunity to test plant tissue concentrations lol

3 Likes

I wonder if fermenting horse tail would make the silica bio available…

2 Likes

I believe so. You have to remove the O and the H to make it available through microbes or heat as in the case of rice hulls.

1 Like

Turns out the answer is very simple and something we’ve all been doing, hopefully, this whole time.

Worm gut bacteria, which makes perfect sense.

2 Likes

So my next plant ferment needs horsetails, crab shells and worm castings added to the comfrey, will the lacto fuck with the gut bacteria I wonder?

2 Likes

Probably not. Lacto is one of the main digestive tract bacteria.

2 Likes

Fermenting horsetails will make the silica bioavailable
I used to hustle horsetail ferments, called it horsepower
It helps prevent PM and increases the resistance to heat, makes stronger bones,
Fermenting natural shit makes it bioavailable so stinging nettles are amazing veg shit and fermented beet root juice is an amazing flower shit like the pink shit by fuck-farm.

5 Likes

We mix agail at 25-35 ppm Si in solution we get ND or <LOQ for all heavy metals. Propane/butane extracted concentrate is also ND or <LOQ.

6 Likes

You guys heard of Front Row Silicon? its the same as power si just 150 a gallon lol

1 Like

Front Row Si is 10% soluble silica. It’s $80/qt, $300/gallon.

2 Likes

Stealing this

2 Likes

Yeah I honestly don’t think we use enough of it that it would even register on the biomass tests but you can never be too careful

2 Likes

It’s nice to be vertically integrated huh

2 Likes

We only hold cultivation and extraction licenses, so not exactly vertically integrated. It sure is easier to sell product with all ND’s, so that’s always the goal.

3 Likes

When I was using a cheaper silica I was instructed to use it once a week. I am now using Power Si, Should I throw this in every feeding or just once a week also?

1 Like

If using every feed, use it at half strength.

1 Like

Helo

I can get yara actisil

I’m in hydroponics, do you advise me in foliar?

Or do I put it in the tank at what dosage?

Yara actisil

1.7% (m/f) stabilized organic siilized acid (ortho)

0.6% silicon (m/f)

Density: 1.12 kg/l

@Flowerman , I’ve been scanning this forum for that SOP you promised. Sorry if I missed it; was it ever posted? Thanks!~