Labs that accept samples via mail

@anon56994712

Is it possible to send them to someone that’s closer to a testing facility. They could drop them off in person.

6 Likes

I’ve been giving this some thought as well and I’d welcome feedback on this. Considering lawful hemp flower looks, feels and smells indistinguishable from marijuana, the only way to determine if it is hemp is to know the potency of THC through testing.

In terms of lawful repercussions, intent to mail marijuana must be proven.

To my knowledge there is no equivalent of the beam test for THC. This, combined with the knowledge that high thc producing plants produce little to no CBD, it seems reasonable to me that a positive beam test suggests the strong possibility the sample is hemp in nature.

I’ve considered putting together a kit, and included with that kit is a beam test that you would run on the samples you wanted to submit, and include back with the chain of custody form. I feel like that would remove the culpability of ‘am I knowingly mailing marijuana, or hemp?’ This I too, feel would protect the receiving lab as we advertise we simply do not accept samples that fail the beam pre-test and advise against sending any samples that fail.

If marijuana were somehow to be determine later through testing, the question is can they prove you intentionally mailed or intended to receive marijuana? I feel that would be hard to prove given the beam testing pre qualification and the otherwise indistinguishable nature of hemp vs marijuana.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about sending the beam reagent to people in BM states so they don’t get ripped off with hemp/sprayed flower, I’m just not sure how to navigate the hazmat aspect of it. I suppose you could pack the KOH separate

4 Likes

Seems there’s nothing to be worried about?

• For Mailable Liquid Corrosives:
  • General:
  • Liquid Corrosive. A liquid mixture must be 1 pint (16 ounces) or less, and must contain 15 percent or less corrosive material with the remainder of the mixture not being a hazardous material, unless otherwise specified for a specific corrosive material.

Per USPS Packaging Instruction 8A | Postal Explorer

1 Like

it needs an adsorbent and multiple layers of packaging in addition to special labeling

Illinois lets licensed facilities mail “samples” to each other, so there is a lot of weed going through the mail here.

I thought the mail service was run by the feds, not Illinois.

It is part of the executive branch of the federal government, yes, but their mission is to deliver mail. Crossing state lines with weed would invoke fed cop jurisdiction, but intrastate travel does not.

I should add the disclaimer that in reality the feds find jurisdiction when they want it, despite the actual law. A lot of the intrastate Illinois mail goes through processing centers in the st Louis area, which would invoke federal jurisdiction, but no one seems to care. I’m sure they still bust people for mailing pounds, but I don’t think they are using dogs on mail to catch people mailing an eighth to a lab.

1 Like

I’ve sent so many samples into ACS using good ole USPS, some hot and some not. Never had a problem except when sending through FedEx, those samples never made it to them.