Kugelrohrs are awesome!

no effin way!!! kuges look way cooler!!!

6 Likes

Just starting to play around with this bulb setup.

12 Likes

Fucking nice Bro!!! How’s it distill? That was pretty much the exact same way I was going to set mine up…

2 Likes

I just stripped off solvent and a few ml of heavy terps from a batch of oil that was being sent down a chroma column-

And then spent the next 10 hours designing a mad science horizontal still and geeking TF out on how much potential is to be had here

3 Likes

In case you were interested.

2 Likes

Ahhhh gotta relish them moments.

I think yours is more friendly for a lab that wants something to use before wiped film or something to use to learn about fractionation and I say this because of the bay of pumps needed to run the spd 7. I think the kuges are definitely more novelty and are cooler BECAUSE they spin and are slightly more simple to run.

1 Like

The spd7 only requires one pump for volatiles Wich is optional since people decide how many pumps they use, and one for main body.

The reason why we bank pumps together is becusee we match the cfm evacuation rate to the cfm of a system when at a desired rate of micron vacuum. This brings cusp down and increases performance. Users are allowed by all means to add and use any pump config they want.

The spd7 and spd8 are the narliest systems on the market and whatever pump you use still will be great. If you take a play out of the kug book and compare the tech one system is moving while another is stationary and that has massive benefits. Also the collection system is more refined and innovative when it comes to improved ability to harvest fractions.

The spd7 for instance has a bounce trap attached to the horizontal arm so you can literally separate hydrocarbon remnances from terpenes for instance. Really cool stuff.

1 Like

It is… But it doesn’t rotate…

1 Like

The fluid inside is being mixed with a pill. And the glass doesn’t lose efficiency when it turns with so little fluid in a kug. Don’t get me wrong I really like lugs. They are amazing early tech used in low bandwidth distillations

2 Likes

Thanks, Im pretty excited and nervous about it, its my first go with distilling and am hoping I didnt waste a bunch of time opting to go the horizontal route. Pulled the heads off a test run of reclaim, and am about to try for the main body. Im only hitting around 100 micron at my lowest, im sure I fouled up my pump oil while pulling the heads(dont have my cold trap hooked up), as I couldnt get below 190 as time went on. Also my connections are ghetto’d for the moment while I wait for proper fittings.

Waiting on having some sort of decent semblance before I update my other thread with progress and details.

3 Likes

The only thing you have issues with horizontal is unwanted stuff coming through due to no rejection. But if the product is refined you’ll at least be able to make something

1 Like

Damn, I was under the impression that I would be able to pull down, and maintain much easier than the SPD. That was really the only reason I was considering it TBH. The path is much shorter this way though, then it is in the SPD

1 Like

@pangea where did you piece together your setup? Can we see more?

3 Likes

That’s what I would do. Is use claim as a test subject.

2 Likes

My level of vacuum is because of my ghetto connections atm nothing to do with the glass positioning.

I ordered a boro 45/50 to half inch barb, that I was planning on connecting to a half inch barb
to kf25 adapter. The glass barb was slightly smaller than the hose and kf barb, so I epoxyed a garden hose to it lol. Waiting on a ptfe 45/50 to kf40 which I will adapt to my kf25 cross on the pump. Then for my gauge mount/adapter, I have a 1/4 flare connection on the gauge, which I thought was npt, so I am using a second KF25 to barb adapter and small stubby of hose clamped to a barb which adapts to the flare fitting on the gauge. The second kf25 barb adapter doesnt have barbs on the stub part, its a smooth pipe/barb adapter, which is useless and probably leaking.

Basically a shit show at the moment, but am optimistic that if I can get it this low with such a ghetto’d setup it will be much better when things are properly setup!

@The_Lone_Stiller
I heeded the excellent advice of the forum and went with @david who was clutch especially right before the CNY, and getting out the teflon adapter literally down to the wire!

Ive only got a few more ball tubes to show off, the BF is 2000ml and got several ball tubes of various sizes, 100ml, 250 and 500ml. the 100ml’s with 45/50 are near useless as they probably have a capacity of 10 - 20 ml’s with such large connections. As seen in the above picture the first tube off the BF has a bump trap to keep things from bumping passed the first tube, @beaker mentioned this was a problem for him, so thought I’d try to prevent that on the heads and other volatiles.

I’ll get some more pics to show off soon. The only thing not pictured above is a 500ml ball tube and the ghetto vac pump connections :slight_smile:

@spdking, thanks for the info!

*Pulled down to 60 micron for the main’s run, ramping temps up now.

4 Likes

I’m trying go fast. Crc crude doesn’t have much to reject

1 Like

There you go fam. Spd7 is the tool for refinement. Low head temps

1 Like

Famfamfamfamfamfamfamfam

4 Likes

I love my fams

5 Likes