Isomerizing delta8 into delta9

Licensed California extraction lab. Ethanol extraction at -40, pushed through bentonite and activated carbon, rotovapped, short path distilled, and testing came back:

67% Delta 8
9% Delta 9

This is a new one for me. The distillate was exposed to unusual prolonged heat and vacuum. Delta 8 just isn’t a thing here. Is converting to delta 9 an option? I know a lot about distillation but isomerizing is way out of my wheelhouse.

Activated carbon carried over into decarb can catalyze conversion. It will get left behind during distillation so it won’t be in your final distillate. Double check your filtration, use sintered discs.

It’s micron and smaller sneaking by I’ll wager.

9 Likes

Hitting it back to D9 is a option but not an easy one tert butyl and hcl there s a paper on it and it s mentioned in the 1971 un convention treaty of Wich there is a list of all refrance r and d used
Sad to say that you will probably destroy more than you wish by the time you nailed it
@borysses @Dr_Jebril should know
More if not mistaken
I think @Kingofthekush420 also played
With it

3 Likes

No way the DCC is gonna give you the thumbs up for. Gotta be careful with the AC and make sure you filter it all out before you bring any heat into the equation. No market for gas station cannabinoids in Cali rec.

3 Likes

Not the rxn that I mean to post
But this seems viable as well

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses. I figured that AC and heat was the issue. What do you suppose the probability is that a good quality distillate can be produced by sidestepping the AC and just using just bentonite and silica? The ethanol is going through a 5um sintered disc then a 1 um sintered disc so I’m not sure I can filter any more comprehensively.

the chlorination for 9a vs 9b-cl hhc is temperature dependent and, upon removal of the halogen with k tert amylate, will dictate whether d8 or d9 is the end product.

when evolving HCl gas to catalyze the halogenation for step 1, you also need to ensure your system is completely closed. HCl gas is obviously extremely dangerous for the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes, but will also erode stainless steel and cause substantial damage to anything that isn’t glass or teflon. just my 2 pennies here. It’s complex, relatively dangerous chemistry, and the issue at hand is better solved by mitigating the evolution to the (more thermodynamically stable) D8 in the first place. I’d assume just using inert clays and not exposing to prolonged heat will do the trick. I’m almost 100% certain you have iso-THCs as well in the above matrix.

3 Likes

getting the bentonite right should catch all the AC.

maybe re-read @TheLostBiologist’s write up.

6 Likes