Iso vs ethonal

Oh shoot, your right. Morning brain was not engaged properly. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I still have yet to see extractor actually file anything with the Feds to retrieve back taxes.

1 Like

Oh! Duh! Yes, copper sulfate is definitely blue. And that stuff looks like you have a crazy lot of it! How in the world do you think this happened? That really does look like you had a serious dissolved copper/sulfur ion reaction going on!

as stated, the pretty blue crystals above are not mine. But the color is spot on.

the color of the ethanol was also clearly Cu, it was nowhere near as saturated, and had just a slight greenish tinge.

I initially assumed cannabis made a whole bunch of some protein high is cystine, and I was seeing thermal degradation when boiling biomass in water/low proof ethanol. So I should stop doing that, because it didn’t recover usable solvent :slight_smile:

After reading others reports of sulphur in their extracts, and the connection to broad & russet mite control, I decided it was probably my grow team failing to inform me of their ongoing/evolving pest management strategy.

I’d love to solve it, to satisfy my curiosity… but now that I have a CUP, I don’t need to perform that particular trick, so it is unlikely to happen any time soon. Checking in with the grow team may shed some light.

My mistake! I just assumed they were yours.

yeah. I don’t think our accounting team tried that either. I ran across it while looking at the possibility of making my own. I was hoping to feed my spent biomass to edible mushrooms, and use them for my carbon source. Paul Stamets is on record suggesting it 10 years ago, but when I tried contacting him a couple of years back he didn’t have a working system yet. He’d had “some success”, but didn’t have time to “take on another project” (cellulosic ethanol from spent cannabis).

I know a very smart youngster who would be more than happy to go exploring down that rabbit hole…I’ve just got to get the tools together for him.

1 Like

I was planning to just make my own using a few turbo500’s + sugar water + yeast, but I just have trouble with the idea of basically inviting the feds to my space.

I have come to the conclusion that price of solvent is not a big deal if you can recover enough of it efficiently.

did you ever get this answered about the 710spirits? im looking to try this stuff out due to the cost of etoh.

We sell the same denatured formula and our clients usually only need to up their evaporator temp by 5-10C. The heptane is in azeotrope with the ethanol, so they mostly travel together until the very end.
@square_root_pharms

3 Likes

does that 5-10 degrees make a big difference when making full spectrum extracts?

There should be little difference between denatured and pure ethanol. Heptane is a very good solvent for terpenes so you would still expect a rich profile.

3 Likes

So before I place my order tomorrow for another 5g of ethanol, my options are $320.00 for 5g of 200 proof or $190.00 for 5g of 190 proof.

Both are NON-denatured

1 Like

Where are you finding 190 proof 5 gallon for $190

1 Like
3 Likes

Holy moly that’s cheaper than I’ve seen anywhere do they ship to a residence is it hard to set up an account with them thanks for that link that’s only a little more expensive than a 5 gallon of 710spirits shipt

1 Like

Wait, it gets A LOT better!!!

Duck buying 5g at a time. 55g all the way!

https://www.laballey.com/products/ethanol-200-proof-pure-55-gallon-drum

Dont forget the fed excise tax

I have 2 spots I can get 200 proof from, not BS tax. 330 shipped for 5g od 200 anhydrous

2 Likes

How do you buy from there without the excise tax

I can get 200 proof ethanol for about 3:40 shipped up here to Maine but that’s the cheapest I’ve found which is why I’m looking at heptane denatured ethanol now to skirt around paying excise tax

1 Like

@square_root_pharms
Thanks for asking the question, i would recommend you talk to shadownaught. He can facilitate the 55 gal drum at a cheaper price, i believe. I’m about to pull the trigger on the denatured myself and see what results are. I believe it should work out to my satisfaction.

1 Like

Are you aware if the hygroscopic properties of the denatured Ethanol/heptane blend are altered compared to say 200 proof pure ethanol?