Is your biggest pain/annoyance when it comes your analytical testing lab?

I can copy/paste code to stitch something together, but design is a much more comfortable niche

1 Like

It was just a nice moment to bring up computer wizards are here and I’m not alone.

2 Likes

I actually have access to this at my location. Super convenient but I still use @kcalabs alot due to their exceptional technical expertise and customer service.

1 Like

Kaycha labs is broken. Standards are wildly different

1 Like

Kaycha just straight up lies lol

2 Likes

Someone ought to echo chamber that.

This is a fun conversation, personally, as a pedestrian.

@CBDExportInc , Yes Kaycha worst experience with them, how are they allowed to operate??. I had product sent to accredited labs and everyone was with in 5% of each other. They were like 15% different. Not only that same product sent to them 2x and each time it tested differently.

A cracker Monkey :monkey: lab. :-1::-1:

1 Like

Having a third party lab in your back pocket is pretty much mandatory as far as I’m concerned. Validation, sanity checks, etc, are all very helpful.

And of course required by the regulator.

But if you’re doing process R&D, it’s hard to justify taking multiple samples per run, or every 5 minutes, or on some other heavy duty frequency if you’re paying many dollars and waiting many days per test.

Speed of iterating is far more important than the cost as far as I’m concerned. ~30 minutes beats 24 hours, even if the costs were the same.

6 Likes

With that thinking, only a chemist turned developer should build tools for labs…

That fits your profile. Is this why you’re hating?
You’re scared I’m taking away some opportunities from you?

1 Like

FREE?? 2 years sacrificing evenings and weekends with my family? $200 per week being spent on Chemists writing articles for me? Time and money spent building LabOverflow.com - a community where cannabis chemists can talk without worrying about intellectual property?

This has not been free my friend.

After interviewing 57 lab owners around 70% have told me their current LIMS situation is slowing them down, making them less efficient, and causing transcription errors.

Open source LIMS are shit. Pharma/Food LIMS are too much headache to manipulate to work for their lab.

I’ve designed wireframes for LIMS (with my partner who is a chemist), but won’t write a line of code until I presell it to a few early adopter labs.

Side note: Let me know if any labs are interested in a demo.

P.S. Thanks for the hate - you’ve motivated me, I was close to giving up.

4 Likes

I scheduled a meeting on your calendar, but never received a phone call.

I’m happy to share my experiences and relevant knowledge gained after more than a decade in the testing industry.

4 Likes

My bad, just sent you an email. Thank you

Preach! I fully agree with this. It’s sad but true.

Yeah, solving this issue has caused clients and labs many headaches. I ended up creating a method that can compensate for human error which seemed to have addressed the issue.

Ah, you are one of those people who think that people need to pay you in order for you to answer a question. You are one of those “fishing for consulting gigs” people. If everyone on a forum was like you then there would literally be no discussion. Just saying.

Person:
"Does anyone know what this bird is outside my window?" 

You:
"I'm an ornithologist and I could tell you if you want to pay me for a consultation"

Grow up and realize that your knowledge most likely isn’t that unique on a forum like this. There are plenty of us with 10+ years experience in multiple industries that could consult if we wanted to.

Oh, and unless you haven’t noticed by now, people who make more money than you know much less than you. They don’t need experience in the topic they are interested in, that’s why they pay people like you chump change to do it. They make things happen and hire the people with the right knowledge to manifest something.

3 Likes

You know, you’re right. I was completely off base with my comments. I am an asshole. And I apologize for being one to you and your associate.

5 Likes

mad respect for that statement. most people here just dig in further and then, here we go, one more back-and-forth that goes to the EC.

IMO ‘i was an asshole in that convo’ does not necessarily = ‘i am an asshole’ ie in the permanent, as-a-person sense. i think the ability to admit fault usually points to one not being a true asshole–though we all have our momentary asshole moments.

funny you should mention, i’d coordinated a buildout for this and was ready to pull the trigger, it didn’t work out and it was not my choice and that’s a damn shame.

that said, it would’ve helped us on the internal/R&D side as you said, but only that, we’d still work heavily with 3rd party labs and all these issues would still be a big factor

3 Likes

Lab called Friday to see if I had done anything different with the new cartridges. Actually added less terps. They were concerned that it was only 70%. Come in this morning and all the percents are sitting at 90. Also the one time posted results of my over 100 distillate. Results have to be my biggest gripe.

1 Like

States need to come up with an accrediting program for all cannabis analytical labs that have licenses under their programs. They do the same thing for air and water testing labs.

Oregon does it pretty well but could be done better.

2 Likes

ISO 17025 labs should have Proficiency Testing results that you can request. In theory those results should give you at least a baseline confidence that the lab isn’t 100% incompetent all the time.

3 Likes