Is it possible to make a male plant hermi or increase ethylene production

@AgTonik when you applied serval applications of ethephon did you water it in or did you use as a foliar spray. Have you tried it on hermi plants

1 Like

Best likely as foliar as you want to hit the pollen/budsites

1 Like

Anecdotally it works as an off-label drench, but is way too strong for constant tissue contact stressing the plant out. I would stick with usage on the label with growing tips only (not leaves).

1 Like

Makes sense, reminds me of the old head grower that would use h202 solution trynna drown russet mites :joy: he would make the crew dunk them in 50gal totes for 3 minutes at time then stack on 3 wool high to drain then force feed “kings blend w calmag “ :joy:

1 Like

Nuke Em is glorified insecticidal soap with food preservatives and yeast. You can dunk a nug after harvest to pass mold tests.

1 Like

How often do you reapply.Just to spark some discussion what do you think would happen if you converted a male to female with ethephon and use silver thiosulfate To turn female to male and cross the two so the original male gets pollinated by the original female and the male plants carry the seeds instead.

Could it cause drastic changes to the offspring if it produce viable seeds. Would they be sterile. Could genetic traits that are more predominantly in males be passed on to the females since the male was the female who made the babies

2 Likes

Eeeeeep, reminds me of the caregivers here that dunk in e20 :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I just did a foliar every few days for 14 days or so until calyxes show up to the party and start to swell a bit.

If you cross forced intersex plants, it sounds like a bunch of herms waiting to happen. I don’t use feminized seeds for that very reason. I would rather outcross to get M/F and BX for stability. Experimentation with ethephon isn’t how I do any seed projects these days.

1 Like

Sometimes. I used fem seeds to cross t1 x cherry blossom, and cherry blossom x otto ii. I never found a hermie and the plants were ridiculously consistent. Then, since I have done this twice and am obviously an expert by now, crossed wife with t1, and I have never seen so many hermies. The plants are all over the place with variation. One pheno is the best looking cbd bud I have ever seen, most are far from that.

1 Like

Your experience speaks to landrace versus most modern cannabis breeding. It’s like Afghani genetics that are stable from years of back crossing versus Gage Green polyhybrid nonsense.

2 Likes

Ethylene treatment has helped keep picky, herm prone strains more stable, but I don’t think I’d use it to force a male to go female. My only reason to do such a reversal would be to smoke the male for data purposes

2 Likes

We quit using early gender testing. It only looks for the Y chromosome. Intersex (hermaphrodite) plants still contain 2 X chromosomes and show up as female on those tests.

I’m a firm believer that using STS and colloidal silver moves the genetics more towards intersex plants. When you reverse a male and do the Punnett square, you get 50% male, 25% female, 25% unknown/sterile. Here’s the million dollar question, because of that Y chromosome, does reversing males with ethephon bake in hermaphrodite traits into the genetics?

3 Likes