Is Crumble Full Spectrum?

I’m not, you were talking about bho and I just wanted to make sure I was covering everything. I didn’t know till PharmExOregon said most all CBGa crumble is ethanol. The only options were crude oil or crumble, PharmExOregon’s looked a lot different then say this CBGa crumble here:

I don’t know about cure but there are a lot of people on the facebook cancer / rso / feco groups that post about taking rso / feco and their cancer went into remission, then they would have to take a maintenance dosage so the cancer would not come back. About the clinical data I think I saw on a Netflix documentary that they don’t want to do clinical studies on it, that the pharmaceutical companies don’t want it.

Do you mean that you don’t know about CBGa for cancer or that you don’t want to speak about it on here?

I heard people don’t want to publish studies because they don’t want the pharmaceutical companies reading their studies then trying to make synthetic versions of cannabinoids.

I only recently heard about CBGa from a couple podcast / interviews:

Interesting, that extra hydroxyl group on CBGa must make it more polar than THCa if butane doesn’t really dissolve it.

I am assuming CO2 is the only other applicable extraction method other than ethanol?

1 Like

I am very familiar with Zero Point. I went there in person to verify them as a slanger. What questions do you have about their cbga crumble?

It is cold extracted with ethanol but not decarbed.

1 Like

RSO is generally heated, so decarbed. (RSO is generally a crude DIY cannabis extract).

Crumble is just a name for the consistency of the product, and is a marketing term rather than a scientific term.

Crumble can be made with decarbed or non-decarbed extracts.
These will generally be a distillate (so: Crude extract ->Dewaxed oil → distillation to remove ethanol and many other compounds to produce a cleaner product with higher cannabinoid content).

You mention CBGa crumble - this is generally ethanol extracted from non-decarbed CBG flower. It’s been distilled to remove the ethanol and contains little chlorophyll or waxes, so not “truly” full spectrum but more full spectrum than a less refined product like home made RSO (Which would not be commercially acceptable or useful for manufacturing.

In the case of CBGA crumble this is the natural form of the distillate following normal crystallisation of the CBGa in the presence of lots of other terpenes, cannabinoids and waxes etc. It’s a great product.

Note : your post has drawn some unhelpful/comedic comments because RSO is a crude cannabis extract, but this terminology and method is mostly used by a community who are using home/DIY/ghetto type methods, materials and consumables, and much of what is described as RSO online would not be considered to offer an optimal patient experience in terms of safety and flavour. People are calling many different methods/products RSO so it’s pretty meaningless beyond being a crude cannabis extract. It comes from decades ago before modern extraction science and nomenclature was widely used in the cannabis/hemp industry. You’ll see a lot of medical claims that are dubious at best, but a nice clean RSO is a great product.

BTW - if you want truly full spectrum cannabis, just juice leaves and flowers - if all that chlorophyll etc is really good for you then skip the extraction and go for juice which going to contain all the (potentially therapeutic) plant compounds. Definitely avoid any RSO method using hydrocarbons unless you have the technology (distillation or vacuum oven) to completely remove them. Ethanol is GRAS (Generally regarded as safe for human consumption) so DIY RSO made with this method is usually best.

Lets consider a clean, safe, RSO type extract made with ethanol.
This is a highly full spectrum product including lots of cholorophyll, pigments, waxes and other plant compounds which may or may not be beneficial. These make the product dark and thick, and generally unappetitising and difficult to use or formulate other products with.

A cleaner approach is using cold ethanol to minimise the amount of non-cannabinoid/terpene type compounds.

This “bucket tech” is the DIY version of what commercial extractors do with machines like the CUP30

The result is an amber resin with minimal chlorophyll or plant pigments, but still plant waxes etc. This is crude ethanol extract (basically commercial quality RSO) that has had the ethanol and lighter compounds removed by distillation - so already not full spectrum compared to a raw extract - “Full spectrum” is a relative term

Waxes and other lipids are usually removed by precipitation in cold conditions (winterisation). The result is usually called winterised ethanol extract.

This can be further distilled to remove more impurities are removed by distillation the product is called distillate - less “full spectrum” again, but more full spectrum that an isolate…

If you don’t decarb the flower first, you’ll be extracting mostly acid cannabinoids like THCa, CBDa etc and also preserving a lot more terpenes etc… If you do decarb it you’ll be extracting THC, CBD etc

It’s a nice, fairly full spectrum extract but not nearly as full spectrum as a crude extract.

With non-decarbed CBGa extracts this is going to look like crumble.

I hope this helps a bit - there are many ways to do each step and a lot of the nomenclature is dependent on specific technologies (with RSO mostly an older DIY name for crude extract).

Is RSO better than a high quality refined extract or distillate? Most of the time I’d say no but there many pigments and waxes etc that may be medicinal compounds that are removed during extraction and refinement. That’s why I suggest going for juicing if you want a raw, natural, truly full spec product.

But for manufacturing tinctures or gummies or similar a refined extract, distillate or isolate has many advantages.

2 Likes

I didn’t have any questions. They are out of stock of 75% CBGa crumble, I emailed them and they said they’d be back in stock soon. But now that you mention, do they grow outdoor or greenhouse? Organic?

They don’t grow. They manufacture. Everything is organic though. And they make high quality CBGA crumble

1 Like

they have hemp crumbles at the pipe store.

Not to put words in @PharmExOregon’s mouth, but “can’t speak to” == “ain’t got data mate!”

They provided the cannabinoids for this study

1 Like

CBGA “crumble” is not distillate.

@ThePhilosopherStoned You distill without decarbing under vacuum. This is pretty universally done with ethanol extracts to remove the ethanol.

Different solvents have different vapor pressures.
One way or another the solvent has to be removed whether it’s CO2, ethanol or hydrocarbon.
The principles are the same regardless of whether you are adding heat or keeping it cold and pulling pressure.

Sure, a distillate is generally passed again through distillation to further fractionate - I’m speaking in general principles.

Their 74% “crumble” might be crude, but I expect their 85% and 94% “crumble” is likely a distillate.

You distill the alcohol out of the oleo/alcohol slurry. You do not evaporate the oleoresin. In order to create a distillate you would have to heat it hot enough to evaporate and then re-condense the oleoresin itself.

Don’t try to tell me that drying down by evaporating the alcohol out of the slurry is creating a distillate. It’s just distilling the alcohol to separate it from the mixture.

1 Like

True - I’ve edited the comment to reflect this point - I was speaking in the most general terms to explain the relative nature of the term “full spectrum”

@ThePhilosopherStoned you posted “how do you distil without decarbing… you don’t”.

You can - and high potency CBGa or CBDa concentrates can be made by distilling extracts under cold vacuum, and may generally have a crumble consistency - CBGa just seems to crystallise that way in the presence of other compounds.

As I said, crumble is marketing term more than anything.

To the original topic, any product that has undergone distillation (even just rotovaping or vacuum ovening) has lost part of the original full spectrum (wether it’s the heads, tails, or just what’s burnt off with heat leaving you with less than the full spectrum of compounds - in particular you will lose many lightweight terpenes and phenols etc (some of which are physiologically active) along with the ethanol.

1 Like

given the use of “distillate” in this industry, calling the removal of solvent “distillation” is not doing anyone any favors. certainly not the OP.

can it legitimately be called distillation?

Sure, the ethanol is being distilled.

However, given the focus on cannabinoids here, referring to the process as such merely creates confusion, and in your case (you clearly know better), is being deliberately disingenuous imo.

6 Likes

The alcohol in this case is the distillate and the cannabinoids the raffinate though…

5 Likes

this :100:

my point was that the oil was not distillate because the alcohol was the only fraction being evaporated and condensed, aka distilled

not trying to be petty, merely precise for OP’s sake

3 Likes

I’m looking at this CBGa crumble and at this price I can afford to have plenty to give away to friends for free. Is everything looking good on the COA for this CBGa crumble?:

Does the ethanol level look high here on page 2 coa for CBGa crude? It says it’s 124014.632 ppm.

120,000 parts per 1,000,000 == 12% ethanol.
0.12g of ethanol per gram.

were you planning on eating 400g a day, you’d be getting the equivalent of 2 drinks. you’re not.

imo the only problem is the lab director putting ANY digits after that decimal point. chances are they can justify 124,000, but the precision implied by 124014.632 is simply ludicrous. that’s the number the machine gave. no human thought about it.

2 Likes