Is a Chemistry background the most useful when it comes to cultivation & production?

I think you are asking about chemistry education vs horticulture education. But I’m going to answer it as though you meant background - meaning hands on experience, training, and knowledge - and not just a degree. I think you already know my thoughts about seeking a degree - if you don’t check out my post to you here.

In my experience as a chemist who has also worked large farms/cultivations. A background in horticulture will prepare you better for a management position because the average person in a horticulture environment will be on small/large teams more often, will have to deal with more team turnover than chemists, and in general will have to learn some really interesting supervisory/management soft skills that as a chemist you get way less experience from entry level positions.

Most chemistry entry level positions are solo activities - you and your bench samples. You and your instrument. Occasionally doing peer review - with one or two people. Mistakes here are often smaller and less costly.

Most horticulture entry level positions are team activities - you and your team moving trees/shrubs/plants. You and your team working on big tractors together. Almost always with other people - being challenged by communication issues, team dynamics, and generally dealing with mechanical systems and unforgiving plant environments (wrong chemical, plants die) which can lead to entire batches being thrown out.

I’ll point back to the original response - focus on WHAT YOU ENJOY. Its not about which job you can get - in STEM you’ll probably be able to find a job, maybe not a “running a multi-state cannabis operation” job - but a good paying job.

So if you are like - man I don’t want to learn about plants anymore - but wow organic chemistry is the shit, that’s cool. Switch to chemistry.

But really - without all the experience I mentioned before - the degree isn’t going to be what sets you apart. But you passion might be what does. So find what you really ENJOY doing - that class that you are willing to be up at the ass crack of dawn for, and do something that applies that.

The rest really is just up to chance anyway. Your network - the people you know - and how you communicate with them. Its 100% facts and it fucking makes life suck more than people like to admit.

Either degree is a fully functional working in or out of the cannabis industry job. With a masters in horticulture you could walk into a nice cushy government job, almost out of college. But you won’t be working with cannabis. Still a damn good job though. And if you love plants - even better. :slight_smile:

5 Likes