Inert gasses to prevent oxidation

What does your purge rig look like and what is your purge SOP? Can I safely assume your are referring to purging distillate, as opposed to purging at an earlier stage of the process?

It’s still as gold as the day it came out of the still.

There was a ph trick mentioned about 6 months ago in a thread. Is this a ph thing to help mitigate oxidation (red ring)?

Gauging oxidation visually is far from sufficient. Your eye will not detect the presence or extent of creation of CBN, the oxidative byproduct of d9 and its isomers

He is talking about the “red ring of death” oxidation ring most distillate suffers.

Oh I know, just saying that absence of the RRoD does not necessarily mean absence of oxidative degradation of your active cannabinoids

1 Like

Absolutely. I’m far less worried about cannabinoid conversion than the red ring of death though. A proper ph, proper terp strip, proper filtering, proper distillation(WFD or RFD or SPD) should remove the red ring of death. Any misstep in those and it’ll happen.

Imo if u get ur oil pure enough it will red ring on u without argon present. Any heat + air will do it. So when ur warming up ur jar or flask to pour, theres the heat. then when u pour, air needs to displace back into the bottle for the liquid to flow out.
So instead of pouring in open air, take ur disty and do all ur pouring and capping work in a glove box full of argon :grin:

I have a suspicion that filling and capping carts should be done in a argon glove box aswell, especially if ur oil is water clear.

When taking off my flask from a run, i can see from the drop down inner tube has disty on it still. If i turn off the system and let everything cool before releasing vac, the disty on the inner tube stays relatively clear for days. If u close the drop down ptfe valve and pull the reciving flask off while the system is still hot. The oil on the inner tube exposed to air will oxidize over night. But when air is introduced when its cold, it doesnt affect it as much

False iif distilllate is made proper 98% thc 1% minors+cbn
Trust me oxidizes in a blink

3 Likes

Incase you think i am that good at distilling wrong
I am good ar recrystelizing thc-a decarbing it and distilling :joy:

1 Like

I’ve actually found removing all color like that increases oxidation by an incredible rate. ~95-97% total cannabinoids seems to be the sweet spot. Anything higher and it oxidizes like crazy. Cbd conversion has the same issue. Turns purple insanely fast.