Industrial Stocking Stuffer

I need to stuff 6x48 socks, lots of socks.

Whos got a great solution?

Im looking at the luna technologies unit

Has anyone here run it?

How much dies it cost?

3 Likes

Wooks, lots of them

6 Likes

Start packing

2 Likes

I’ve got a PVC packing frame. Lower socks into pipe, fold it over, pack with a capped pipe.

Frame design, it’s got a vertical packing pipe for every sock I own.

Capped packing pipe

Total cost was under $50, and I can pack 4 socks in 15 minutes.

10 Likes

not sure how much it costs, but the luna stocking stuffer certainly works. Pretty sure they have someone else build them.

using a ram to pack socks works best if you’ve got the sock supported. as @Indianajones420 mentions, PVC works and is cheap…sometimes you can even find it just lying around…eg Tube socks cause shocks? (So don’t do it!)

@Roguelab has suggested a metric stainless tube rather than a sock. Tricks of the trade - #25 by Roguelab . Luna has stainless baskets for their socks, but I don’t know if anyone actually uses them…

the real trick is actually getting the size of your socks right. too big and they won’t go in the tube. just a hair small, and you can pack more material and still get them in the tube.

6 Likes

Luna’s packer is 8" it does work great and makes really nice presto logs lol.

Its around 9k to buy. The luna makes 3-4 shorter logs that you then put in a bag and load into the extractor.

I know you wanna do socks but an iron fist rigged up to press into a sock is the first thing that comes to my mind.

7 Likes

I’d check in with @Scientific710 on this one

4 Likes

What’s up Rowan?

We have a solution for you. The Iron Fist will help alleviate some of your packing and unpacking issues you are having. While the Iron Fist is designed to replace sock, I understand why you use them. With that said here is some helpful information for you. When using the Iron fist you will be able to load 15lbs-20lbs of material per 6"x 48" column. I’m guessing you are getting at most 7lbs of material per column with socks. So, for every one column you are running using the Iron Fist you will have to run 3 columns using socks! You will also see 2%-3% yield increase over socks, and you will never have to clean your columns again. Due to the fact the Iron Fist cleans your columns during the unloading process. I’ve attached some data for you to look over. Also checkout our IG: @scientific710 and website @scientific710.com for more information and videos.

3 Likes

Do you have attachments to be able to use socks or only just columns. My set up is wall/rack mounted, removing columns isn’t really an easy option

2 Likes

please send quote to
Rowan@luminarymedicineco.com

1 Like

Rack mounted is not a problem. Clients with columns that do not come off. Hang the Iron Fist above there extractor from a winch that is connected to box rail so it is easily moved. Here is a similar example. The only difference, this particular lab doesn’t hang the Iron Fist. They take it on and off for loading and unloading. This lab also only runs Fresh Frozen.

3 Likes

When you are packing do you have to take the whole iron fist off to add more biomass and repack it further? assuming you have to then do that 3-6 times per material column?

2 Likes

This was exactly my question in another thread about this…

2 Likes

When I ran a similar device we had to unclamp the columns to move them to the press. It would be cool if it moved along a track of some sort

2 Likes

Did the piece of pvc tube that fits inside the column work…pack it then slide the sock over it and slide out the tube?

Great question. This is going to depend on a few factors. 1. Ceiling height 2. Do your columns come off or not. In the video above. There columns did not come off and the ceiling height was limited. so yes this particular situation they would take the Iron Fist on and off. Note: Since they are running Fresh Frozen they increased the amount of material by 15% and saw a 2% increase in % yields vs hand packing. They would only take the Iron Fist on and off 3 times including unloading. If this client had ample ceiling height we would us a hopper column and hang the Iron Fist from the ceiling as I explained earlier.

2 Likes

what is ample height?

Yes, our clients do this all the time! here is an example. This set up is a 12’ x 42" Iron Fist packing 65 lbs of material per column.

But you still have to remove the packer from the column to add more biomass correct? even if you are not having to lift it out of the way you still need to disconnect the clamp and lift up with the hoist and then add biomass and set back down the hoist and reclamp and press again, repeating until the column is full.

Side note:
I really hope thats not near an extractor with a standard plug and a little electric motor that is clearly not rated for a controlled environment.

1 Like

I can see how that would work but for me having a dozen columns all running simultaneously or individually it would be a huge hassle to have to pack them in place. I really like your packer just have to figure out how i would implement it with out a remodel.