In need of Warm Ethanol SOP

Howdy all!
I just joined this community and I’d love to probe all of your experience in the cannabis field for my own venture.
I’m currently working on creating (or piecing together) an SOP for my own CBD production from Hemp. I have a lot of family and friends who are interested in CBD and I would like to produce for them.
What I have so far:
Decarboxylation - I do this as the first step, using an oven. I set the herb in the oven (set 125C) with a temp probe to let me know when the herb reaches 120C, where I set a timer for 45min for decarb.
Extraction - I have been doing ambient temperature extraction with ethanol inside a glass kimchi jar with a mixing head attachment. Extracting for about 40minutes.
Filtration - practically non-existent for the moment. I just use a cheesecloth to strain out the trim(shake).
Distillation - using a distillation set with a vacuum to reclaim some ethanol.

Thats about it. I’ll use this extract and mix it with sugar to put into mints, tablet, other edibles.
I’m looking to up my filtration game and potentially extraction, but do not want to kill my bank account. I’m willing to spend a couple hundred on upgrading, but I could use some guidance.
I was thinking about purchasing a buchner funel with celite 545 to get some of the unwanted particulates, but aside from that, I do not know where to start. I know that chilling ethanol can help with keeping unwanted chlorophyll and waxes from extracting all-together, but can I just get a styrofoam box, set some dry ice inside with a metal pot with ethanol inside to chill it?

Anyway, I know this is a lot, but I really appreciate any help you all have to offer.

You guys have really inspired me, thank you all so much!

Are u a farmer? It sounds like you should look into just buying the crude and making your products. Cbd is cheaper than you can process it at your scale

5 Likes

Dm sent

1 Like

I am not a farmer, just a chemist who mainly working in alternative energy and who has dabbled in cannabis extraction on the side. Do you have any references of hemp producers that you particularly enjoy?

Just buy some oil, make your products…

4 Likes

Ask for “warm ethanol SOP”, then ask about “just using dry ice”.

Confused. What is your goal?

If you don’t want to pick that stuff up, yeah cold is a simple way to not do that. As is speed. At the sake of yield.

If you’ve picked it up, and want it gone, cold (and some magic dirt) might get you there.

See: winterization & the lost-biologists write-up

SOP== Standard Operating Proceedure.

Essentially nobody is going to have a warm ethanol protocol they would follow at this scale.

Unless the goal was “RSO”. Then what?

Tip: you’ve used “distillation” for the step folks here call “solvent recovery”.

It’s only distillation if your primary product is that which you condense (or one of the fractions you condense). In the case of making “crude” as you describe it, your primary product is left in the boiler.

Distillation can then be performed under vacuum to separate the cannabinoids from the other stuff you extracted into your crude.

If you made it warm, you’ve got clean up steps BEFORE distillation.

All this and more had been stated repeatedly around here.

Read. Experiment. Ask questions that you cant figure out by reading…

edit: if the goal is formulated edibles, start with something that tastes better. Distillate or isolate.

Both of which are a fair way from your current process. I’m with @Apothecary36: purchase your CBD not your hemp.

7 Likes

For whatever it’s worth on this older thread. Maybe this SOP and the FORMs might help you.

6 Likes