I'm a dumbass and heated my CBD+hexane too long at too high a temperature. What did it break down into?

I’ve been working on figuring out exactly what I degraded my CBD into. It was heated in hexane to achieve supersaturation prior to crystallization, and I turned my analog hotplate a bit too high and stepped away for apparently too long. Now, attempting to crystallize, rather than crystallize into CBD, it’s a mass of reddish-brown that won’t crystallize at all. What exactly did it break down into?

Edit: For reference, the hotplate was about 145C and had been for a minute by the time I was back to it.

Do you have any form of In House analytics

Did you perform a thc bioassay?

What did it look like before you evaporated off the hexane?

I have made honey colored 70%-72% CBD crude using either hydrocarbon or cryo-ethanol that will form a fairly stable pull & snap.

If devolitilized out of hexane I can see it being the texture you describe. You’ve probably made some CBN if it’s red, but I don’t know how much, or if you need to go via thc to get CBN.

It’s known, just not the list of things I currently have stored locally :slight_smile: .

1 Like

did all the hexane boil off? If not you did not go above 68C, and CBD is pretty stable below 100C. If it did, you basically formed a melt of crude cbd and other compounds extracted from the plant. It might be very hard to resuspend. Drying it and grinding it into a fine powder, and refluxing in hexane over night will probably help. If that doesn’t work, re-extract it with what ever method you use. Or just put it aside, it might not be cost effective to recover.

Was sitting around 140C for a little while. Trying to decide on what method to move forward with

Make destillate
Out of whatever You have the temps
Will give a sort of indication

Its going to be alot of CBN. CBN is the thermodynamic product when you add excess heat and time for many cannabinoids. This being said, it is rather stable. The reason it is stable is because of the resonance/conjugation/delocalization of electrons within that molecule, this is also why the chemical is a red color, this delocalization of electrons allows for wavelengths of light in the visible spectrum be emitted.

Its of course not all CBN but that is what the red color is from. If you have more questions about this chemical process or the terms i used, please message me your phone number and I will call you.

1 Like

was the solution acidic at all? Most likely Delta-8 for the most part now.

What evidence do you have that it is mostly delta 8?