Identifying bugs on other vegetation

Hey how’s it going on. I had a quick inquiry about identifying bugs that are found on vegetation around my plants. I remember years ago someone telling me that blackberry thorns and stuff like that can carry nasty diseases that can transfer to cannabis. True or not, I recently noticed what I think are dandelions/weeds, excuse me if I’m wrong I don’t know shit about other flowers, along with thorny vines that are absolutely infested with thousands of little black bugs. I do not see these bugs at all on my weed plants And wondering what I should do about it. I can spot numerous of these weeds/dandelions on my property and they all seem to have heavy infestation of these black bugs. I would like to know if anyone can help identify them, or advise what to do about them. I kind of kicked one over to see what would happen and a lot of the little critter scattered around the ground, any thoughts? They range from small and black to bigger and red
image image image image image image image

1 Like

Those are aphids on your dandelions. @Gregory has some great posts about pests on here you may want to check out, like this one about aphids:

They can definitely be a problem if they decide to colonize your plants too.

2 Likes

I know there are a such thing as brown aphids. If you ever have any pests you are unsure about, I would suggest you catch several of them in a small glass vial and check out a local university. Many universities have entomology departments and I’m sure would be more than happy to do some insect identification for you at no or minimal cost.

I’m going to mix up a fucking super dose of the pesticides I have and try to murder them. Like I said it doesn’t seem that they have gone to my plants, but they are literally right next to the boxes. I’m scared to try to physically remove them as it will just cause them to scatter

Since they are not on my cannabis plants, is there any super fucking aggressive treatment I can use to just murder them. I honestly want to fucking spray them with gasoline at this point

1 Like

Anything with imiclapradid will wipe them out.

You have very bad luck with plants.

2 Likes

I mean there are plenty of pesticides that can do the trick. neonicotinoids, pyrethroids, biological actives, etc… there are plenty of options.

I’m a big proponent of organic solutions. Obviously this means you can go with an OMRI listed pesticide or something as simple as an insecticidal soap which does a great job.

Edit: And I think @Demontrich above me means imidacloprid :).

2 Likes

Unfortunately it is what it is lol. As much as I am observant and diligent with my cannabis plants, now I have to worry about other shit lol. I did my best to eliminate all the growth and weeds prior to the season. I’m going to spend the day removing all the vegetation I can that is infested and trying to murder all those fuckers. At least they are not on my plants yet so I can be a little extra aggressive. Literally considering blowtorching them LOL

2 Likes

I’m going to buy some imidacloprid based product today and going to spend the day clearing my property of shit like that… and seriously considering a propane tank and roofing torch lol.

Sounds ridiculous but… any nay sayers to the flame thrower option?

Yeah, I’ll have to edit it in my autocorrect.
Lol

It’s all good, I got a good chuckle out of it. I read imiclapradid and thought “wow this must be a novel neonic that I haven’t heard of before!”.

1 Like

Dawn soap suds will kill anything on contact. There is a guy on youtube who takes out hives of killer bees with a pressure washer modified to spray soapy water.

As far as scorched earch chemical options, talstar p will kill just about anything. Follow safety guidelines.

1 Like

The reason why soap kills bees/wasps/the like, is the soap acts like a oul barrier. They cant fly and drop to the ground and die.

Tire shine
Brake clean
Soapy water
Wd40

All work perfect for killing above.

One of our car lots was by a railroad track. Yellow jackets used to make nests in the A-pillar door jamb area and inside side view mirrors. We would bring bottles of any of the above. Ince sprayed, their (see above bug) is dead.

3 Likes

For most insects soap acts as a desiccant. It dries them out.

1 Like

We spend a lot of time dedicated to IPM.

For veg and early flower, we use 1/3 Dr. Bronners Sal’s Suds, 1/3 corn or soybean oil, 1/3 70% isopropyl diluted at 1/2-1 oz. per gallon. If you have a bug infestation while in flower, just Dr. Bronners soap can be used at the same rate and rinsed off.

For powdery mildew with clients, potassium bicarbonate can be sprayed in flower at 1-2 tbs. per gallon and rinsed off.

2 Likes

I’m about to go get some thing to kill these guys, but part of me is now thinking I should just fill up a bucket with soapy water and squeeze a sponge over them LOL. Either way I’m hoping to murder all of them and the vegetation today. I did notice on one strain that went into early flower I’m starting to get a tiny bit of mildew here in there, so I will look into the potassium bicarbonate.

1 Like

For thrips and fusarium, we use 1/3 Dr. Bronners Sal’s Suds, 1/3 corn or soybean oil, 1/3 70% isopropyl diluted at 7.5ml-15ml. Drench, rinse, reinnoculate.

1 Like

In flower, if before day 10 from flip, foliar spray with micronized sulfur 3g per 1gal bubbled/deheuy/ro water for PM issues.

I (he did the work) hit this problem guys room day 7 from flip. Hes 3 weeks in, no pm yet he days.

I bought a 35# bag of it.

1 Like

I have questions-

1. Would AGT-50 or a sticker spreader add residual activity to micronized sulfur?
  2. Do you think it would add to taste/smell as a sulfur additive like recommended in JADAM low-cost farming?

I ran 45# of biomass that was sprayed with safer soap (type with sulfur in it), as well as the biomass being old. I started the distillation and the fractions smelled (actually reaked) of sulfur.

From what I’ve heard, never spray anything in flower if your gonna extract it.

1 Like