Ideas for a cheap inline ethanol extraction winterize and filter

Placed inside a chest freezer using 3/4” stainless and Teflon hose going into 3 stage clear filter housing
With packable cartridges

Using carbon and t5 and other packable options

Now I’ve been considering having the filters to be on a skid because after the initial extraction the ethanol will be chilled in a 17gal ss brew tech fermenter

chilled to -40C
I’d like to use the same filter skid just turn it around
Having this pump
Using a panda spin dryer outside the freezer to get the rest out.
Having the ends on quick disconnect 3/4” hose adapter for easy access
I’m sure I’m missing some details but that’s the basic idea

2 Likes

All said and done under 2 grand

1 Like

It looks like you have a decent plan. What is your final outcome that you are looking for? If you chill your ethanol down to at least -40c before extraction you wont really have to worry too much about post processing. When you process at -40c and below (-60C is optimal) you don’t really pick up much of the fats and waxes, which in turn means less post processing.
If you don’t have the ability to get your ethanol chilled before extraction, you might be better off to do an LLE into Methanol for winterization. With methanol you can do a room temp winterization.
Just for the record also, when you’re winterizing something you have to hold it at temp for like 24-36 hours before you do your filtration. You have to allow the fats to drop out of solution, and that takes a bit of time, especially when using ethanol.

1 Like

Yea that makes sense right now I don’t have the ability to get my isopropyl lower than -20 with the chest freezer and I was thinking about doing 2 washes (5gal) and give it 24/38hr take off the top 1/3 from the tank and doing a 3ed wash with that then rotovap down to a reasonable amount and run it through the bukner is that over kill? Eventually it will be distilled possibly 2 Times is what I have been doing and the drying material coming out of the panda will be added with the rest. What do you think about using the RO water filters? Is it worth the extra to go stainless?

I don’t have personal experience with using the RO filters, but hopefully one of the other guys that has will jump in with some info. I do know that many people went back to using a filter skid, or lenticular filter. The RO filters clog up pretty fast was my understanding.
So Isopropyl is not ethanol. Do you not have access to ethanol? I do know that that our local @Demontrich likes to add dry ice directly to his ethanol in order to chill it before extraction. If you were to do something similar, that would help with getting the temp down.
I would get your ratio of solvent to oil at a 10:1 ratio for your filtration portion, and again chill it from 24-36 hours, and make sure that you are using the right media with right ratios.
Check out this post for some ideas and information: Bucket Tek (Cold Ethanol Extraction on a Budget) - Hash and Stuff / Extraction - Future4200

1 Like

Excellent thank you! I can get ethanol I just got a decent deal on a 55gal of 99%iso for 530 if you think ethanol will be cheaper? Usually methanol is cheaper but I don’t have much experience with it. Just starting out in the distillation game is a challenge getting everything needed with out a shit lad of start up cash but it’s so clearly worth it and will pay for its self. A goal of mine is to be able to produce the same end result as a +50,000$ system with a fraction invested maybe not as fast but just as clean

1 Like

If you’re comfortable using methanol for your extraction solvent you’ll pick up less fats and waxes, and you’re filtration chilling time will be significantly shorter. I would save the iso for cleaning shit etc. The whole idea with ethanol is that it is a “food safe” solvent. Like pour yourself a shot, and hate yourself for drinking it until it kicks in kind of safe. Iso is @ 99% but that’s 1% of by products that may not be evaporating.
I’ve done plenty of iso involved things, to include extracting because it’s one of the easiest solvents to get. Every time I used it on biomass I always ended up with a hulk green tincture that I threw out because I didn’t have the ability of powders to do a proper cleanup. I do know that every single time I evaporated iso there was always a light white film on some portion of the extract. Such has been my experience with iso.
Read around, and use the search bar using terms like going straight to crude, going crude to distillate, going straight to distillate, extraction for distillation, cleanup for distillation, proper winterization, types of media for cleanup, media uses and ratios, buchner filtering.
Like literally copy and paste those terms. I would do it, but I’m being lazy!

2 Likes

RO water filters kick ass for cheap winterization :call_me_hand: I’ve never used those packable filters that’s pretty neat. I just use string wound filters and stage them something like 100-20-5.

5 Likes

Interesting would the methanol and plastics cause issue?

No those will work just fine, ran methanol thru 2 of them for yrs as a final catch all when i would run kief to distillate. The wound cotton ones i used went down to .5micron

2 Likes

Can also get a 1 micron filter cloth. Sew it. And then run your winterized solution through the panda while spinning. It’ll catch that wax real nice and quick-like.

Personally I don’t think anyone who doesn’t have intentions to test for residual solvent should be handling methanol. In a lab setting with proper ventilation and access to testing then yes of course methanol is an incredible solvent but it’s not something to be taken lightly. Exposing yourself to methanol fumes on a semi regular basis will have you squinting to see things right in front of you before long. If you know what you’re doing, by all means use whatever you’re comfortable with. I just see a lot of newcomers join and jump straight to the upper level stuff with no experience outside of a few hours of reading here and Reddit.

6 Likes

Polyester filter cloth is not rated for ethanol buddy.

Do people generally… test for residual solvent on distillate?

Yes, most people get full panels on the products they are selling. Even if it’s distillate. Distillate can still have solvent if the operator doesn’t properly cut heads.

1 Like

You can fashion one out of “pool filters” at different micron sizes. I’ve done it and seen it in other places.

That is an important point.

PolyESTER felt is NOT the correct tool…

However, Polypropylene gets an “excellent” rating with both ethanol and butane (Polypropylene Chemical Compatibility Chart) and is available in sheets at various micron levels.

Trouble is, I’m not seeing sheets of it anymore…swear that Duda Diesel used to carry it. Now all I see is polyester…(which I can see being really problematic given the demographic…)

Edit: McMaster has it down to 5um McMaster-Carr

4 Likes

Well good thing I didn’t recommend polyester buddy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@cyclopath thanks for filling in that info, I’m a lazy poster

2 Likes

Knight filtration is who i got my last roll of yards from since duda didnt have it.

1 Like

Course! Many folks are likely to read that and think of the “tampon tek” ala the Duda Diesel Polyester felt. That polypropylene felt looks pretty dope! Could see using that at work without a doubt, @cyclopath

@stoopkid Appreciate the education! :pray: