I want to hear how people are curing! I've found a lot of mixed reviews

A lot of OD growers do this to rid the buds of dirt/debris/environmental fallout.

H2o2 wash
Lemon juice wash
Plain water wash

6 Likes

Dr. Bronners/Sal’s suds water mix and then dunk in lukewarm water. The trichs are fine with this method.

1 Like

As long as the washing isn’t too vigorous. I’ve (sadly) had to witness grows washing bugs off post harvest with a pressure washer. Also seen a vacuum used to the same effect. :broken_heart:

3 Likes

Big leaf, hang for 10 days (I use 6’ tall fencing with rectangle 2x4 holes, cut a length and then make a circle, can fit an insane amount on one rack) in 60/60 in dark room with a couple small box fans, shuck, break down, extract

I did all my outdoor from last year (30x50 plot/canopy) in a 10 x 16 shed, and there was still room for another 3 racks…

8 Likes

I’d like to hear more about what people are doing because 90% of legal market weed in OK smells like hay like how has no one figured out how to cure? In CO it was mainly due to people rushing things and being too big. If time and money aren’t an issue what is the way to get the most flavorful product? I have always wanted to try one of those food dehydrator looking things for an automatic dry/cure. Anyone use one?

2 Likes

The dehydrator looking thing works well for being automated, but it doesn’t scale well. Perhaps you could copy the parameters with the amount of flower you harvest? It’s the same thing with Boveda packs. They get expensive really quick.

We developed the storage tote method I posted about above to deal with ~100# at a time. We took it a step further and turned the empty veg room into a humidor by cranking the dehus down to 60% humidity. Lots of options for a flavorful harvest.

6 Likes

A lot of the uncured stuff you see for sale is probably that way because it will sell long before the 3 months or so it takes to cure.

My go to was jars for years. Now I wet trim, Then onto drying racks until the stems snap or buds easy pop off stems. Then I put them into a freezer bag. Vac seal it to where the buds just start to squish together. Then I pop it in the freezer for minimum of 2 weeks, but I just leave it in there until I’m ready to use it. When I pull it out of the freezer I let it defrost before I put into a large mason jar for smoking. Works like a charm and you really get the same terps from when you were harvesting.

4 Likes

Cob cure for those not afraid of mistakes.
Pula for those who get the cob…
Cob hashish…

1 Like

For anyone who needs to hear this:

Stop wet trimming right now, please, for the love of god and all that is holy.

11 Likes

Can you elaborate about the negative effects of wet trimming?

Trichome damage from handling wet sticky plants

Chlorophyll leakage causing hay smell

3 Likes

Never had any of those problems. Been doing it for 10+ years. Dont wanna damage the trichromes dont touch the bud. They are on sticks you know. I feel like you lose a ton more trichromes when dry trimming. At least thats what the amount of hash afterwards tells me.

5 Likes

You have a trim crew babying it like they grew it themselves?

Or you trim a few plants up for yourself?

2 Likes

Been a part of both. Yes now i just trim for myself. But when i was on the farm we did it both ways and saw no difference in quality after the trim. At least according to the test results. Really to me its just a preference thing. A know a ton of farms really dont even hire trimmers anymore and just buy machines to do it. They may have a few trimmers for colas and qc. Im not a fan of machine trimmers but they are definitely efficient.

Does anyone here know what kind of gasses emit from the plant during the curing process? i’ve heard ammonia being one, ethylene being another. any insight? If not, anywhere where I should look specifically to find that information out?

I think ziplocks are the worst for cannabis. Always makes flower smell like the plastic the bag is made from.

Turkey bags for the win!

6 Likes

When it comes to the wet vs dry trim argument it’s a difficult one. There’s a few pros and cons. I find dry trimming is better but I combine both, What I do is let the medium dry back mostly before starting the trim. Not to the point where the fan leaves are falling but just before it. (they are a right twat to trim when droopy) I also prefer drying media because it’s easier to move/reuse or throw away spent media. First I put a big PVC coated wire line up and start trimming and hang the main branches of that. Then I just sit down gloves change and pluck all of the main fans leaves off. Where I then hang dry the branches in a smaller tent seal and put the vent fan on making sure to clean the tent before and afterwards(h202, uvc, etc). An intake filter is also ideal for this. When the snap comes in the smaller buds. The bigger buds will feel dry on the outside but they aren’t dry and will still be moisture inside. This is where I cut the buds off the branches and place them into glass jars. Thow the crappy looking buds (not worth my time trimming later on) in a separate container for oil and the good ones in glass jars. I’m a personal grower like yourself so I don’t have the issues commercial guys have. They want it out of the door asap. I also don’t want to be sitting there for 12+hrs straight wet trimming. Done way too much of that. I can’t fucking stand it. I despise it so much it’s unreal. Just burb jars mostly once a day and trim a couple of ozs here and there. You get a feel for the moisture. The buds will have got softer after a day or so in the jars and then it’s just slowly bringing that moisture down to your liking. My weed always comes out stinking this way. But This is just the way I do it everyone has their way I suppose. I’m a big believer in low and slow. The downside to dry trimming is you’ll need more containers to store the weed while you work up the courage to trim.

1 Like

Very true - curing is an art and lost of people do it differently, But my method is cheap and effective. Just buy a bunch of the large-mouth 1-quart sized Mason jars. A one quart jar should hold 1 to 2 ounces of dried bud. I burp 3x per day for the first 5-7 days the bud is jarred, then reduced to 1x per day for burping. A burp for me means opening the jar, removing the lid, and letting it sit on the counter for 5-10 mins. Cheers, happy growing!

I’ve always done the big leaf then hang till small stems snap. Dry trim then jar up, burping once a day for a week or two, then once a week for a few months. Have tried wet trimming a couple times, but dry trimming is so much easier.

The Cannabender hooked me up with a couple bags from Grove Bags to try on my next harvest. He says hang until dry, then put it in the bag, no burping needed. Dude looks like someone who knows what’s up, and a straight shooter, so I’m gonna give em a try.

Off topic, but the Cannabender was a really cool dude. I bought some of his cannabenders at Cannifest. Showed him some clones I scored at the show, and he even threw a bender on it to start lst right then and there. Check him out on instagram @extremelst.

Here’s his Runts male:

Talk about extreme training!

4 Likes