I bought a thing!: Adventures with a 20-year-old GCMS

Yes I’m currently retrofitting the ATS to provide phase loss protection to the whole building. As they say, I’m trying to ball on a budget

On another note, baby’s first chromatogram! The little peak is 3ul of methanol injected at a 5:1 injection ratio. Seems like a lot for not very much signal but then again I’m scanning up to 325 m/z

1 Like

Is the column new? Did you bake out the source and the quadrupole chamber?

We had some weird ghost peaks when we first got our GC running. Also, replacing our filaments made a huge difference.

2 Likes

Brand new column, baked the shit out of the ion trap and the column. Verified no leaks with my little Restek sniffer but I’m still not convinced. I get some weird stuff and I have no idea how much noise is normal

1 Like

Here’s one of some random rinsate I had lying around with no bother about dilution/concentration. I assume the primary peak around 14 minutes would be THC but I’ve not run my standards yet and it doesn’t match up too well with my library profile. Anyways, looks like tomorrow we play with standards!

4 Likes

Is this a me problem? I want to see the pictures!

This may be a you problem. I can see the pictures no issues. Maybe they are too big for your filter or something?

@SidViscous dude baseline is looking lovely. Digging those sharp peaks too. <3 Remember…any amount of noise is normal - as long as it is always consistent so you can disregard it. AND as long as your actual peak of interest has a strong signal outside of the noise. I mean sure… its always nice to have things nice a quiet and mostly smooth - but never expect zero, there’s always something hiding somewhere.

That one of the rinsate actually looks awesome to me. Clear solvent peak, and then not too much crap. Dialing in the RT a bit more with your standards will help with integration and those other ions will get left behind instead of it trying to quantify everything. We’ll get your calibration dialed in and your method integration dialed in and you won’t even see that stuff anymore. :smiley:

4 Likes

I don’t know what to say other than I’m so fucking excited that this is doing what it’s supposed to!!!

5 Likes

As I posted that I got a tornado warning blasting through my phone. Maybe I’ll check out the window next time :man_facepalming:

Super cool to see @tokesandtinkery, @Killa12345, and @SidViscous getting up and moving on their analytical gear. Looking forward to throwing my hat in the ring and getting this qtrap moving over the next several months:

5 Likes

I really think all active members in this tread to be nominated for MOM !!
This tread althou not of interest to most
Is what this forum is all about
It s a pleasure reading from the side line and watch the developments
Big thumbs up to
@SidViscous @Cassin @Chaboes @thesk8nmidget. @tokesandtinkery

13 Likes

Welcome to the party my friend! Used analytical equipment 4life!

@Roguelab thank you for the kind words. I certainly wouldn’t be posting pictures of chromatograms on here without the help of all these great people. I love this place

14 Likes

I’ve really enjoy following along and seeing other get value out of otherwise useless equipment. nothing is better than adding analytics for a discounted price.

7 Likes

I picked up 2x SRI GC’s a couple years ago and rebuilt them into one unit. After it was all said and done I had spent about $7,000 on a complete working system with TCD, PID, and FID detectors as well as a 12 chamber heated box. Hydrogen & zero grade air, regulators, syringe set, standards, new coil, etc.

It was a unique challenge as one I had never even seen one before and two, of the two units the one which had all the good stuff in it was used as a trainer it had seemed as everything was hooked up wrong and completely out of tune. Re-calibrating individual circuit boards can be fun… even more so when its not something you designed.

After that I rebuilt a Flash unit that had a blown lamp. Next up is the Micromass LCT mass spec.

Looking forward to following you on the journey!

9 Likes

So I officially have a problem lol. Since we’re actually getting chromatograms out of this thing and its been fairly painless, I just bought another GCMS and another spare GC for $1500 total. And one of these GCs has an ECD I think. I’m like an old Varian shit collector now.

Updates to follow on debugging this water issue and hopefully doing some calibration curves!

10 Likes

Okay, I suspect I have an issue with the liner seal setup that this injector I believe is a 1079 came with. Originally, there was only an orange o ring that sealed the liner to the septum support and body. It was looking a bit rough so I replaced it with a generic o ring of similar size. Now, thinking about this it would seem that the elastomer would be an obvious source of bleed/contamination.

Consulting the diagram, I see there is supposed to be a graphite ferrule instead. So, I ordered what was supposed to be the correct ferrule, but it does not fit over the liner. Both the liner and ferrule part numbers were straight off Resteks catalog for this machine so I have become properly confused.

Aaannnnddd (because all this confusion wasn’t enough), as of this morning I am now the owner of a Perkin Elmer 2000 ICP-OES!!! Yay more eBay analytical equipment!!! Somebody please stage an intervention for me lol

10 Likes

Yep I’m stupid. Apparently I have an 1177 injector. Not sure how I managed to order the right liners and septa but the wrong liner seals. At least if my new systems come with a 1079, I’ll have at least some of the right parts lol

4 Likes

Hey guys looks like I’m joining in the fun again…

This pallet was brought to me today unexpectedly! Can’t say no to a mass spec and headspace samplers!

16 Likes

Welcome to the party! Fun times ahead all around! :rofl:

4 Likes

Jealous on that headspace sampler! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

me too.

although maybe I’ll just use this as an excuse to invite myself over to play more often…

you up for that @thesk8nmidget?

6 Likes

Of course!!

Always happy to have you!

3 Likes