hydrocarbon recovery condensing preferences

I pay $.80/lb for pellets as well. do you think it ends up being cheaper using lc02 to recover or using the pellets?

Yea, with just that coil, a tank should last me two weeks at least

I’ve been highly interested in making a switch to lc02, mainly for a coil too. just don’t know where to go about getting the right jacketed coil. you say nboler?

Yea nboler can make em and so would @710ST, he’s with bizzy and he has several options for lc02 and condensing

1 Like

If your lab has a c02 extraction unit use the c02 to make dry ice. Purchase a dry ice maker and c02. Personally I don’t get why labs don’t have dry ice makers.

1 Like

cause shooting co2 into a bag to make dry ice is a super inefficient way to do it

3 Likes

1# every 70 sec

Ouch…

Answer to a yr old question and that system would have been a nigjtmare to run passive. Not that it couldnt be done and obviously you get way better # per min rates. But wasnt worth dropping all that coin for that machine tbat was made 5 yrs ago and it had zero cost per day to run other than the utilities of the warehouse

1 Like

I totally remember that. I’m just joshing you a bit.

1 Like

I run multiple cmeps and can get about .4#s / min per pump when they are in good shape. They have check valves on their outlets. I’m running straight tane, been thinking of switching back to a blend to get some better speeds, I used to use a blend like a year and a half ago.

would you say LC02 is more about temperature or cost of BTU compared to using a chiller?

There is no way using CO2 will ever compete with the amortized costs of a chiller, but for most it’s about initial investment. After that, usually people don’t want the downtime to switch even though it will lower their costs.

1 Like

sorry I’m a little illiterate, correct me if im wrong but you are saying that a chiller is the best option due to the recurring cost of LCO2 but due to the initial cost of most chillers more people tend to go with LCO2.

but most chillers aren’t going to get you down to -75Cish and im woundering if the recurring cost makes it worth it with the low temps?

Correct. And I was assuming that we were talking about a -80c chiller as a constraint. The point still stands, but there’s a possibility that a less cold chiller would provide an option with even better value; the fixed cost vs variable cost conundrum still applies.

Also for the most part, low temp chillers tend to all be -40 or -80C depending on the system design, with very few options in between.

As far as running a chiller that doesn’t get that cold, you’d need to establish how much it impacts your run time and decide if the faster recovery will pay for the increased chiller costs.

3 Likes

Ive really been thinking about moving towards lc02 myself. Im fortuante i get dry ice for .50 a lb but im still kinda over it. Ive been trying to increase my current reduction time of .6 lbs per min on 1/4 hoses passive. After reading i guess i need to go get a consdensing coilto start huh lol

2 Likes

You can cool down your vapor stream with water and then condense the rest of the heat load with a dry ice coil.

Duh

Aka need 2 coils or 1 coil 1 heat exchanger

2 Likes