How to remove wax/fat from heptane

I’m not familiar with these types of systems does it have to be pushed through under pressure like an R.O. system?

Yes, exactly. It works just like RO but with organic solvents.

2 Likes

sounds legit for our 314Da target :wink:

not certain which side of the membrane one would realistically expect to see it. retained presumably. although 300Da is cutting it pretty close, so 100% retention would not be my expectation going in.

given the size difference between our target and the solvent we’re trying to remove, 200Da or even 100Da might give a better separation based on my experience with size exclusion membranes.

eg Sigma recommends

Determine the molecular weight (MW) of your macromolecule of interest, and choose an ultrafiltration membrane with a molecular weight cut-off (MWCO) that is 2-3 times smaller than the MW.

for their centrifugal concentrators https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/technical-documents/articles/biology/amicon-ultra-centrifugal-filters.html

if one wanted to play with this without spending a fortune, they might start with these 100Da cuttoff membranes https://www.sterlitech.com/dow-filmtec-flat-sheet-membrane-bw30le-pa-tfc-ro-cf016-5-p.html

4 Likes

Last I spoke to them, evonik will actually give you free disc membranes as long as you run some trials they request

I too thought 200 would make more sense but at the time they told me that pore size was underperforming and they were retooling their fabrication method for it and assured me retention was good at 300. Keep in mind the Dalton rating is nominal and in reality the separation is based on molecular size/cross section, not weight.

3 Likes

Yes. We sell C1D2 systems right now that winterize and remove solvents. Using membrane filtration. Check out Ecosce.com

3 Likes

There are a lot more variables than membrane porosity and target membrane size at play.

3 Likes

So what kind of membrane is used to remove fats and waxes?

Depends of solvent tempeeature,and method of extracting
Hexane extracts i have been able to catch 80% of fats and waxes at room temp
At cold temps the retention is to highand clogs the membrane really fast
Biggest obstical up to now has been to keep it all flowing for the larger sized (500da /300da) membranes take all solvent and the goodies are stuck

5 Likes

What membranes r u using!?

Evonics puramemstrong text

2 Likes

You should be able to catch way more then that.

Which size puramem are you using?

1 Like

Membranes expand and contract at different rates in different solvents, you need to test the membrane to figure out which one is best for the process youre trying to perform ( winterization or solvent seperation)

2 Likes

Remember. Heptane and water don’t mix. Just freeze it.

1 Like

500Da and 300Da
In a warm solvent extract 80% is the best we got at 150psi
A prior nano filtration is now on the list
But since this whole vape shit
I have been upgrading my bho units
And realy busy

1 Like

Try the 600. You can run it at higher pressures = faster flow rate and still get cannabinoid permeation.

2 Likes

Yea youre running it at too low of a pressure too. 650 psi to 870 psi MAX is what they’re rated for.

2 Likes