How to eliminate decarb smell?

It is also worth mentioning that I am looking to decarb CBD. I will need to ask my chemists about a reactor with a reflux condenser as Im not sure what exactly that is. But will look into it. My set up is pictured below. Heating up in a closed vessel is the plan now, I am buying a new pressure cooker and will decarb in mason jars with lids on loose. Open the containers outside. I will have to look into a chilled condenser. My setup does not have any glassware/vaccums like that yet. We run magic butters, pour solution into panda. Then decarb 1.5L on a hotplate around 120c for an hour is what we have been doing. I then take the oil and homogenize it into salves with heat running as well around an hour with the solution maybe 50-60c.

Get a 8-12” carbon filter, and an in-line fan. Stick it in the corner and run it 24/7. Go as big as you can. Get a speed controller to keep the noise down. You can put a carbon filter on both ends if you want, intake and exhaust.

And then still do everything else you are trying to cut down on stink.

I have three ferret. They stink. I keep their cage in a grow tent. I keep a carbon filter in the tent, and exhaust out of the tent. It helps a lot, and it is obvious when it needs to be changed. I started with a 4”, but those need to be charged too often.

The 6” carbon filter you have is pretty lightweight. That is fine, but requires more changes. Might want to look at 6” x 24”. You can always use the one you have as the pre-filter, and add the new one as the exhaust.

1 Like

Is the scrubber in that thing? Where is the exhaust air going?

you need something like this

Is your future plan to decarb within the pressure cooker itself? That would probably help significantly since it is a closed system (although the pressure cooker might have a pressure relief valve that will vent stinkiness into the room when it goes over a certain PSI). I would try to let it cool to room temp before opening the pressure cooker and that should reduce the stink significantly. Definitely consider the advice of others on a simple re-circulating carbon filter in the meantime as a quick solution.

I’ve moved away from coconut oil because it looks a little weird when it solidifies, and I seem to have more mold issues with coconut oil than other types of oil.

But lately when I do direct bud to oil infusion, I decarb the bud first. How much Cannabis are you decarbing at once?

It might be worth looking at making changes to your process to see if it makes a difference in the smell.

Its a coconut/mct oil mix which we process into finished products fairly quick. Thankfully we have not had any issues with mold. We are extracting around 24g of CBD from 320g biomass. Decarbing the oil after. Decarbing flower is also extremely smelly when we have tried it in the past.

Any recommendations on ozone generator size or brands for a 2 L SPD setup?