How to break down distillate easier and minimize waste?

Yea it is

1 Like

Shameful display

OP: invert your jar over your cart farmer’s reservoir, and set up a heat gun on a lab stand blowing over the jar. By the time you are done filling, you will have melted out all the residue, and have filled it

4 Likes

If you are also worried about the 40-50g left in a jar, add some ethanol, cover the jar and let it all dissolve into the ethanol, put it back through your recovery process and while you might not use that 40-50g right there, it isn’t being “wasted”.

5 Likes

Fill them with ethanol and let them sit at room temp for 24-48 hrs. Pool the ethanol containing the residual cannabinoids. Recover the cannabinoids from the ethanol.

1 Like

OP is “breaking down” distillate. what makes you think they currently have any equipment besides the hot plate, homogenizer and cart filler?

@joshc710 you may be making carts, but lets be honest here, that part is almost irrelevant.

your question is about getting more hash out of jars (reducing transfer loss), it has very little to do with what happens next (exact same problem for edibles or spraying distillate onto flower) except that you’ve chosen to double down on those transfer losses by using two containers.

• reduce your losses by reducing the number of containers
  • heat is your friend, but only until you’ve got terps in there.
  • you don’t have to sit there holding the heat gun…
  • those that actually make distillate generally also have the gear to recover solvent, and solvent washing the jars is the way to keep cannabinoid losses to the absolute minimum
8 Likes

breaking disty in the trap
god this shit is sticky crap

I pour it out, but want it all
shit is sticking to the wall

I’ve tried to use a heating gun
it takes too long and ain’t no fun

oh my lord, what should I do?
it’s sticking to my beaker too.

you could use an oven bro
or ethanol just like a pro

clamp your heat gun to a stand
it takes less work than in your hand

reduce the vessels that you use
wash the fuckers out with booze.

41 Likes

Is that Robert Frost?

5 Likes

Sticky disty, what to do
Cost a buck or two
Fifty dollar loss, mad boss

7 Likes

do not use heatgon on the booze
or else your lab will go kableww!

9 Likes

We make a lot of edibles so I just weigh the jars and clean em out with heat and coconut oil, then adjust the oil to my usual ratio, etc etc

3 Likes

So satisfying… thank you.

2 Likes

How many minutes for how many grams?

You put a glass of water in the microwave?

Depends

A minute at a time for Mason jars

Media bottles can do 2-3 minutes no problem

I never put water in there

1 Like

3 minutes can heat up 1 liter and 2 frozen corndogs if youre short on time

10 Likes

If your bottle doesnt fit in the microwave, u can turn the microwave sideways but make sure to do small quick 20 seconds burst.
Since the rotating plate is unusable you need to rotate between heating sessions.
Id also take that plastic gl cap off, those will melt in the microwave.
As for getting everything out of the bottle,
just smash it and throw it into a micron bag and rosin press it

5 Likes

gal of water for scale.

4 Likes

If you are making carts with it you can use the terps that you will use in the carts as a solvent to help clean out your jars.

Luckily I have a big 2.2 cubic foot Panasonic microwave that I can fit 1 L media bottles in NP with the tops on. Main reason I got such a big microwave was so I could fit my 3 liter Boro beakers which hold my tapioca syrup for my gummies. Screw having to heat that shit up in its own pot, I microwave it for 8 minutes and it’s boiling hot pretty much and ready to add to the rest of my recipe

Could also start a tincture line up :joy: just start using MCT oil to dissolve it all and then bottle that shit

1 Like

That’s quite the expensive solvent to use, and a much harder recovery process than just using ethanol I’d think