How much does cold cost? dry ice vs liquid nitrogen

Continental Carbonics sets that price across the Midwest-

I’m in Wisconsin and we call Milwaukee “the machine shop of the nation”

Lots of cheap welding gas companies competing with one another cause we build a lot of shit here.

1 Like

That’s criminal.

1 Like

I just paid $300 for a 530# bunker and I though it was a ripoff.

2 Likes

At my local praxair, they ask me how much do I usually pay, we started paying $1/lb (when we were only picking up 50lbs), we started telling them a lower and lower price everytime we went in there. Now we pay 0.40/lb and usually pick up 70-300lbs.
Maybe try to tell them that “your buddy” is getting .40/lb on dry ice, I’ll try and find a receipt, you might be able to convince them :man_shrugging:
We also marked the dry ice weight of our coolers, so it’s much faster, instead of having to wait for them to have the scale free

2 Likes

Send me that receipt of you find it. I’d like to try

1 Like

Found a receipt with only 70lbs purchased and still at 0.40/lb. This should be the ticket🕺

Can you put LN in a dewar flask for SPD or is that too much? I’ve seen people use it with a SS cold trap but never a dewar, I figured it wasn’t a good idea

2 Likes

Funny thing about liquid Nitrogen is iT Will Harm You less than co2

I’m so sick of ice and suppliers dropping off bunkers that are half empty clearly been sitting on a truck somewhere for a half week I’m just throwing in the towel and buying 110ksqft of nitrogen

230L dewar costs me $170 I guess I’m in some cryo jackpot zone based on the prices y’all are stating

6 Likes

We’re just lucky in the mitten, most places with a fair number of ethanol distilleries have dry ice on the cheap.

2 Likes

Where are you getting your dry ice from been difficult for me to find a good place… I’m in michigan

1 Like

Bumblebee gas & extraction supply hooks it up, if your near metro Detroit. USA labs also

2 Likes

I pay .37 per lb at oxarc

2 Likes

That’s a steal

1 Like

The green tomato in Battle Creek has it for .27 a lb.

2 Likes

what were you doing over here? Damn I would have loved a meet up!

Get a scale a bunker can roll on. It will pay for itself

3 Likes

Those are absolute junk. It’s more of a dry snow maker than dry ice maker.

2 Likes

Depends where the dry ice is needed
For i use it for spd coldtrap with a similar device the trick is full pressure blasting of liquid co2 not the vapor

2 Likes

The math I did for a project up in Toronto says that LN2 was 4x the price per BTU. That was with local prices in Canada.

1 Like

Here in California many large extractors are figuring out how to use liquid nitrogen (LIN) in bulk. It is colder and safer than the alternatives you all have mentioned. The problem is procurement, dealing with Airgas and Praxair is very complex. If you have any specific questions lingering about how to deal with industrial liquid and gas suppliers hit me up.