How long can you keep a mom in veg?

Roots are roots. A plant will fill up the space available. And plants dont remember if it’s a mom, or a clone.

When I plant seeds, and not clones, I always get 10 lbs per. One year I got 12 lbs off a silver haze. For the clones in the same 600 gallon pots, I only faired 5-8 lbs. Again, just my experience for indoor and outdoor growing.

3 Likes

You’re comparing clones with the vigor of seeds. Not really a fair comparison in my mind

2 Likes

A clone is an exact genetic copy of the donor plant you took said clone from.

2 Likes

True. But seeds have more vigor then clones.

1 Like

I dont see how. Genetic copy is a genetic copy.
Seeds have a tap root, clones dont.

Even clones taken from plants that are close to the original seed have more vigor. We can agree to disagree. Haha

3 Likes

You are right. That’s what I was referring to… the ‘vigor’ of the plants. An old grower out of Clearlake always told me the seed plants will get 25% more yield.

2 Likes

I have also experienced more vigor from seed than clones. There are some other subtleties of seed starts I love like symmetrical nodes. In southern OR you can also get away with germinating in early May without cycle breakers in the GH and not have them trip out and go into flower like clones would. The tap root is the most physically distinct difference but I think that it does add to more vigorous root development in seed starts also.

I’m all about clones indoor but it was truly an amazing experience the past few years doing large scale seed germination. The uniformity and power of those plants when they take off is something. We had some small starts that went into the field early July with only three modes that got skeletonized by cucumber beetle damage that still blew up into 6 footers. Oregon CBD seeds always on point !

3 Likes

“How long can you keep a mom in veg?”

According to Tool… At least 10,000 days

4 Likes

If you keep a mother for too long the clones will dud out and yield nothing. They’ll look great throughout veg then yield nothing. How long that is depends on the strain and other factors but I’d say to be safe no longer then 6 months. And flowering mothers is wack

1 Like

I agree. Outdoor full season seeds > clones… all other forms of growing seed < clones

1 Like

I know for a fact one grower took clones from a sour diesel mom for a lot longer than 6 months at a time and yield never decreased significantly. They kept that one strain going for almost 2 decades off of clones.

I know for a fact dark heart nursery in ca took from a sour diesel for years and it ruined crops of 3 of my grows personally as well as 6 other friends. This was in 2016. They’ve discontinued dozens of strains and have had several lawsuits over it and issued an email to any customer they had explaining that they “discovered” a new disease they were naming the dudding disease, like they hadn’t been being told this for a decade by previous growers. You’re really wrong about this and if you dont listen you will end up w a failed crop. Please dont spread this info if you haven’t personally experienced it

2 Likes

Your friend was probably swapping out mothers every 6 months. 2 decades of using the same mother plant would have a 20 ft tall mutant of a plant

And I said when this happens depends on strain and 6 months was a safe number. U happened to pick the strain that I’ve personally had the most horrific experience w so that’s why I’m taking that comment so harshly.

Not me personally, a different grower (it was my ma lol)

Maybe I didn’t say it clearly, but they’d go up to two years per mom, over a period of 2 decades. They’d then take a clone from the mom and start again.

I totally agree there, a 20 year old mom would be ridiculous.

I guess all I disagreed with is the time of six months, I’ve seen two year old moms produce fine babies
That’s all!

6 months is a safe number. 2 years is too long. One of these days ur gonna regret it.

Again, not me personally, and they stopped growing once it became unprofitable.

I have no problems with clones personally.

1 Like

For me it depends on how the plants are doing… Usually I don’t even keep moms around anymore. I just clone from the original seed, then keep cloning from the clones until I move onto something else.

I have one mom currently that I just let hang out in the side of the veg room. I barely give it any attention… It is an original seed that got flowered out, then revegged. It’s been hanging out in a 3 gal pot for the past 2 years. It doesn’t grow too big but I’m able to pull 5 or so clones off it every month and the plants grow and flower just like the original.

I did some root pruning on this one when I revegged 2 years ago. Since then I haven’t done a thing to it other than water and a microbe spray.

I do find after a couple of years the yield isn’t as high as the original plant was putting out and the stretch gets less and less, but the quality of bud is always the same in my opinion. I kind of like when the vigor drops a bit because I can be more lazy lol.

I only keep strains around for 2-5 years on average before I get tired of them and want something else.

3 Likes