How do you make a centrifuge go WOOF?

Well now that you mention it, the thing was screaming like a dying rabbit and convulsing like the subject of an exorcism, but I didn’t know that wasn’t normal

8 Likes

When you work at a shitty company, lots of things become “normal”, like a 1st gen CUP30 sounding louder than a 120 decibel rocket take off.

6 months before they serviced that bitch.

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, we’re a bootstrap beg-borrow-steal type of place too but it still occurs with unfortunate frequently events where you can’t help but think “really, you didn’t fckin see THAT coming”.

Today I had someone doing demolition come to me astonished when the SO cable they cut to a LIT FUCKING LAMP was live :person_facepalming:. Yes, that’s how the lamp works…

8 Likes

Heard that, I’d have to come over from my distillation room to tell the hydrocarbon boys that their pump sounds like a chainsaw and they need to swap seals, because they got used to the noise.

1 Like

That’s a hell of a wire to cut. Did he enjoy the zap?

No zap but she did weld a nice hole in my favorite pair of linesman’s pliers

1 Like

I heard a washdown lab that exploded in northern Italy in May 2021 also had a malfunctioning centrifuge as the root cause. 2 dead, 3 injured.

not much info here, but “series of explosions” suggests they may have had more going on than ethanol in a centrifuge…

IT: Two people died in explosion of medical cannabis lab in Gubbio

chasing down the source linked above, I didn’t find a centrifuge mentioned…but this did catch my attention…

the explosion that took place in the Eugubino

which sounds closer to home than it is…

primary source: Esplosione a Gubbio, due morti e tre feriti

3 Likes

If I buy a centrifuge in the future, and I have issues, does hitting it a few times help? Was told that if a machine ever starts making a noise just hit it a few times and it’ll work

1 Like

I mean anything that spins fast can explode if you think about it. Maybe the centrifuge just kinda flew off its wheels and got thrown out the window on it or just got derailed and thrown around quite a bit.

This is why I prefer spinning 5000rpm by hand tbh

1 Like

she

Not tryna be a dick but maybe thats why said person cut a live wire.

I’m retarded as shit and even I know to check wires by dropping some saliva on em before touching em.

…you gotta be fucking kidding me

As stupid as this thing was, she is an incredibly talented pipe welder. Also wtf is your spit gonna do on an SO cable, that shits waterproof

10 Likes

@CapitalismSucks420; and so does sexist bullshit like that!

8 Likes

I’m a pretty experienced electrical person, mostly 12v electrical in my car days and quite a bit of home/commercial electrical experience too.

I can say that I have done the same thing a couple times. Just like anything else in this world you get comfortable and or just go to fast and sometimes grabbing a couple wires and cutting them at once seems like the right choice until you grasp down on those pliers and realize that you should have slowed your roll.

6 Likes

Make a small incision on the wire and spit in it.

If it sizzles/sparks turn it off. Usually gotta make sure its still not dripping from your mouth when it contacts the wire or else you’re zapping your mouth. Not fun.

Also never piss on the third rail.

This is the stupidest way I’ve ever heard to test to see if something is energized.

9 Likes

Nah it works trust me

9 Likes

Me in 20 years

Boy howdy, not what I was expecting to find in here. Tempted to toss this one and start again.

image image image image image image image

So…

1. drive unit has a “silly hat”…a shiny hub cover that doesn’t do much except make it look like all is well when you do your due diligence and peak under the rotor on your brand new machine. Don’t be deceived…

2. bottom of basket it swollen!!! and was full of liquid.

3. swollen basket interacted with “silly hat”. Sparks and eventually fire ensued.

So why is the basket swollen?

First guess was “shaped charge!!”, but then you’ve got a chicken/egg problem…you need swelling to cause ignition, you need ignition to cause swelling…

That theory might be made to work if one assumes a series of shaped charges. an initial imbalance causing a detonation that then makes the next imbalance interaction more likely…

However, after trying to beat one back into some semblance of “fits in the machine”, I’m inclined to support an alternative hypotheses: that the primary cause for the swelling is the same that domes my bags…there was solvent INSIDE the rotor, and it quite literally domed the bottom of the rotor JUST like the bag seen here.

Here is another example of what one might find under the basket…

More honest than the silly hat. Probably more effective too…

8 Likes