How do you guys insulate your closed loops?

I always read about how insulation helps during passive recovery and I keep seeing setups on IG that are seemingly insulated.
What do you guys do to insulate?
Like in this photo, what is that they’re wrapping around the columns?

2 Likes

that looks like ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

@Krative should be able to tell you

2 Likes

It’s called “radiant barrier” it’s the same material you use in your windshield to keep your car from getting redonk hot in the summer. It is also used for home insulation mainly in the roof. You can get a roll of it at virtually any hardware store. Not very expensive. Grab some Velcro as well so that you can take it on and off easily.

6 Likes

That stuff is available at your local home despot…

I prefer this stuff, which is available in multiple thicknesses, and adhesive backed.

The bubble wrap seems like a potential source of static electrickery…which one should avoid

8 Likes

Ay @butaneboi thanks for a shootout to my page. Yeah man I just use the standard aluminum bubble insulation used for insulating your car windshield from the sun. They sell it in 50’x3’ rolls at my local home Depot. There is a better material though which @cyclopath had kindly linked to above

3 Likes

I have the bubble sun visor for mine too. After reading @cyclopath post I’m starting to get worried about static. Mines held on with metal hose clamps.

Would wearing a static bracelet prevent this

I’ve never had that stuff reach out and hand over electrons…but I’m reasonably sure it can be convinced to too easily.

The neoprene will not.

4 Likes

Your system should be grounded, anyway.

9 Likes

How do you properly ground a system. Can a small cls be grounded?

1 Like

Good equipment has a vacuum jacket. Closed cell foam works well as a retrofit.

Ground rod connected to a clamp. Or, your rack if you have a mounted system (that doesn’t have rubber pads on the mounts).

6 Likes

So if the system is moving back and forth would it be better to have something like an arm that pulls down off the wall like fold up bed lol,. But that connects to clamp or something. And bc it’s to the wall run the ground from there.

Trying to figure out how to do this on rig that moves, small rigs u lift from one cooler to the next. Thanks buddy

1 Like

@StoneD

Wall mount your spool and ground to that. Then add tri clamp to mnpt/fnpt adapters to your collection vessel and spool. Use a 1/2” line to connect your spool to collection vessel. This way you can still move your collection vessel to different coolers as needed.

5 Likes

have you looked into these? and maybe hook this to one of the triclamp bolts?

Retract A Clamp

7 Likes

Yeah that’s exactly something more what I was thinking. I was gonna maybe have on at both stations. Recovery and Injection.

I also want some kind of arm system I can mount to the wall at each section, something to stabilize it. Then my tall extra can maybe be bungee to it so it’s not top heavy

1 Like

I recommend if you have a vertical column to collection vessel to use bungees. My outlook on extracting. Make everything easy as possible including physical work. Leaning large dewaxing columns (6x48) on your shoulder while aligning the hemispherical reducer to the dump valve can add more stress to the day. Just use a hook and screw it in the stud on the ceiling. Also depending on your end cap lines you may need one of these if a single bungee cant work and it wobbles. Im sure you can find a better suited net if you searched around.

Bungee luggage strap

@CollectiveObjective all this reminds me of the incident you told me about with the CLS not being grounded and the PRV releasing solvent. Could you give some insight on grounding small scale CLS correctly? I would think the Retract A clamp could be used on a tri-clamp by the extraction/collection or have one of these clamped on the recovery tank? Would only one be needed if the wire gauge is wide enough?

1 Like

We make custom spools that are double jacketed, the inside jacket is dimpled to increase surface area and heat exchange, and the outside jacket is filled with polyurethane insulation, then put under vacuum and welded closed. You don’t even see any frost on the outside of the jacket even when running cryo on the internal jacket.

13 Likes

That sounds sick! Any pics I could see?

1 Like

From the outside it just looks like a regular jacketed vessel, check your dm and I’ll send you a schematic.

Cut up that old wetsuit in the garage, get out your singer, a little work but it works well