How Do You Dry Your Spent Biomass?

Here in Oklahoma, they charge by the pound for waste pick up. We process at least 1,000 pounds a day, and it is just a nightmare to get this all dry before we load it into our waste bins. Does anyone have any tips?

Drill holes in a 50 gallon trash bin, put it in another trash bin. Off gas your spent biomass overnight in the booth. Chuck it in the dumpster, burn it, or turn it into compost. Really no way around off gassing that much biomass

2 Likes

Ding ding ding

3 Likes

He could build an off gassing booth with a 10 ft shipping container some ducting, and a few belt driven fans…

It does make great topsoil. We use some of our spent material to fill in small holes around the farm and to help weeds grow, so we don’t have to mow dirt.

We have also used a skid steer to spread it out on the ground and scoop and dump it back into a dump trailer. Two to three inch layer over night usually does the trick.

2 Likes

Get a peanut wagon. Works great for removing solvents from spent

2 Likes

The wagons have a false floor with perforated grain bin floors. The wagon has a sock or plenum attached to a blower fan with a propane or NG burner ring. Doubtful you want to throw heat at it. As long as it’s not too cold outside it should force enough air through to get it evapped.

is your biomass ground? I was designing a facility that was to do 1000 lbs/hr. We were going to suck the ground biomass @1-2% EtOH into a commercial vortex which would drop it dried into a dumpster. The vortex fed into a burn box to burn off the EtOH.

2 Likes

What solvent?

I don’t know why anybody would be paying a waste service to haul this material off and bury it in a landfill. Once its dried out it makes a good animal feed for animals not intended for consumption (would be real nice is the USDA/FDA would get off their dead asses and label this a GRAS feed), it’s also got a lot of nitrogen post-extraction and makes an excellent soil amendment and compostable.

We run ours in a centrifuge to dry it out but there’s still a bit of ethanol in it after the spin cycle, putting it in supersacks outside on a warm day will have it dried out to where there’s no solvent moisture or ethanol smell in under a week.

2 Likes

only if you use non-denatured alcohol…

Do you think denaturing agents like heptane don’t evaporate? Because if so you’re wrong.

1 Like

I am sure the vast majority does. I still wouldn’t feed it to my animals.

2 Likes

Denaturing agents are literally chosen because of their difficulty in separating from pure ethanol. Most evaporate at very close to the same rate as 190 proof does, if not it would be trivial to make pure or beverage grade booze out of denatured.

I can tell you that most animals will turn their noses up at spent biomass that still reeks of ethanol whether it is denatured or not.

There are residual solvent tests that most testing labs can do on a spent biomass sample. If there’s not any left in the biomass, I fail to see how that’s going to negatively impact your herd.

2 Likes

So the reason is: in Oklahoma you cannot compost or burn flower or anything that has been contaminated with thc it must all be disposed of by a licensed disposal facility. You have to dispose of spent biomass within 90 days of it entering your waste stream. You can only compost or incinerate fan leaves stalks and root balls.

1 Like

In a big compost trough dries up quiet nice …

But here’s what I’d do w it if I had the loads y’all do…I’d be building me a new building of sorts

Blocks and insulation…I imagine spent biomass w lime and water I think it is would make the same thing…stems and all

3 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Hemp adobe

Equine pellets? As long as it’s clean of course.

This is the mobs cut.

4 Likes

Someone’s gotta take out the trash :rofl:

2 Likes