How are you guys cleaning WFE

if you havent been keeping up on threads for the past few days a lot of the jokes will go over you head still sooooooo funny :rofl: :laughing:

2 Likes

What kind of wiper do you have? If you have a VTA you can bleed out the terp pass with your first pass crude. You can also remove the one way valve at the top and put alcohol through it to remove terpenes/pesticides. If you’re just going from first to second pass then just use your first pass crude to purge the terpenes out. I have the VTA cleaning SOP let me see if I can find it

Here you go. This works great and removes any pesticides off the wiper. I can verify this.

3 Likes

But you don’t use Nonylphenol ethoxylate, TSP, or some salt of akylamide? Hmmm who knew

1 Like

Heard maybe use vinegar than alcohol anyone have good ideas? Gonna try ethanol water then ethanol or maybe ethanol vinegar and ethanol run it three times? Tried ethanol alone and got black flakes any help?

That sounds absolutely horrible, lol. Maybe try soapy distilled water in between your ethanol rinses.

1 Like

If one is truly set on using some kind of soap (dispersant), I suggest using a lab grade detergent like Alconox which will not leave any residue behind like every non-lab grade soap will. No one wants soapy disty.

4 Likes

You’ll never get all the black off without disassembling and cleaning

If you’re getting black flakes it’s sugars which shouldn’t be ran through a wiper

Oh yeah, I definitely didn’t mean Dawn, lol. Suppose I should have specified.

3 Likes

Run ZEP citrus degreaser through it instead of water – it will take the char right off.

1 Like

Do not use TSP lol

You’ll etch the glass.

Water, canola oil, then etoh.

Water to remove water solubles; canola oil to remove lipid solubles(nasty black crusties); and finally etoh flush to remove any remaining water, canola, or cannabinoids. After washing I always “burn” the first 100-200mls of disty; I usually end up disolving filtering and then redistilling that.

2 Likes

Filter before dumping in your receiving pot. We use the same metal filters that you would use with sauce. It is best to minimize water solubles and have ZERO lipids.

The best procedure was already mentioned, Ethanol Water Ethanol.

There are cleaners, I don’t like them. Not going to shill for something we use once a month with subjective results.

1 Like

Elaborate on your filter housing. You filter crude and ethanol or just the crude?

Like a sintered disk? What micron?

Filtering the crude won’t be needed if you ensure your filters in extraction are maintained and extract at -40. You can get away with higher temps, but if you notice solids in your crude that is where it is coming from. I know that now, now that I am not fighting the heat of a literal desert.

If you do have recurring solids in the crude a sintered disk will work. We had a sintered disk with inch high walls, I forget the name as I haven’t needed it in what appears to be two years. Way to revive a dead thread. The crude is filtered as it is poured into the hopper for the WFE.

Back to topic, ethanol water ethanol is still your best bet with glass WFE. Steel will need vegetable oil, propylene glycol or both in addition to water and ethanol. For steel try water, vegetable oil, then ethanol. If you need something stronger try including propylene glycol or d-lime after veg. Each machine and strain is a bit different but you should be able to find your panacea with a bit of work.

2 Likes

The thought of putting vegetable oil into a wiper makes me cry.

Super concerned about cross contamination and making the one problem of a dirty wiper into 2 problems

Believe me, it is a last resort. Less concerned about cross contamination as I chase with ethanol or pg then ethanol.

1 Like

D-lime & the coconut…

Call me in the morning

d limonene mixed with coconut oil instead of vegetable oil

or

oconut oil then d limonene?

CTS suggests this. I dont know whats scary about it. These types of oils are native to stills.

My SOP was high purity canola > ZEP lemon degreaser (the orange stuff) > water > ethanol or isopropyl and leave open with gentle heating to dry.

Just as mentioned canola takes the fats and waxes (non polar soluble fraction)

ZEP has limonene in it. So you distill the limonene to the condenser coil to clean the condenser and the detergent in zep cleans the still of canola.

Water cleans sugars and detergent.

Alcohol (200 proof dry) will grab the water and evaporate quickly.

Usually the first two runs suck which is why i imagine dred is talking about burning dist in the still following cleaning.