High volume ethanol recovery

Send me an email to fverlynde@yahoo.com. We have many industrial models made tot order.
Thank you

No forum participation, no pics of your wares and a Yahoo email address? Bold move, but I think you’re full of shit. Prove me wrong.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the replies. FFE is probably the way we are going. And the 300L is a thing of the past, it’s too small, unless there are efficiency issues with using a 2000L+ vessel. It would be jacketed and wrapped of course.

1 Like

So you’re going to be going 2000L bucket tek? That’s ambitious… there are likely more efficient ways to skin that cat.

2 Likes

Our group has a background in food processing design, manufacturing and plant layout. What we envision is ambitious but very possible.

2 Likes

How do you plan on drying all that biomass before it starts warming up? Maybe I’m missing something, but this approach sounds like trying to eat an elephant in one bite.

3 Likes

Most of the material comes dry at this time but we’re working on a drying process. Yeah it’s a big elephant we’re taking on but it’ll be worth it.

2 Likes

Would a moonshine still be kinda dangerous and possibly hard to control heat level?

you could probably approach it in such a manner that it was, but with agitation, indirect heat (baine marie style), and a vacuum assist, it should be a safe and controllable process. The Scots have been running big stills for some time now.

I certainly talked to professional distillers who were concerned about loading 190 into the still and firing it up. I saw nothing problematic at 5gal or 15gal scale without vacuum. Vac does add another level of complexity, but it’s one most of us are already familiar with.

Heating a vat of flammable solvent up to it’s boiling point and playing with the vapours IS inherently dangerous. Things can go wrong, and making sure you’re prepared for them is important. Adequate ventilation. Compliant electrical. Secondary containment in case of spills. Well marked exits. fire suppression.

1 Like

Please do not use a gas burner if you go this route. I got away with charging my still with 170 proof on a gas burner countless times in college until I finally didn’t. Still fires are no joke, and the money I saved in gas by doing this was heavily offset by the money and time I spent repairing the back porch (not to mention the embarrassment). I was lucky. All it would have taken was oxygen to get into the boiler and I would likely be missing limbs or worm food from an explosion. Also make sure you keep the fire extinguisher in an easily accessible place. Somewhere where you don’t have to run through flames to get to it.

4 Likes

What’s the best heat source that is nearly free of fire hazard?

Baine Marie for the win. Much safer and you don’t have to worry about scorching your oil. Even in ethanol distilling, this type of setup would have saved me the headache of occasional scorched yeast and trub. The extra upfront expense will likely save you money down the line in ensuring you don’t fuck up your product.

2 Likes

a remotely located on demand hot water heater, with a circulation pump.

a steam generator is arguably more efficient, but will be more expensive, and nominally “less safe”. “nominally”, because the steam generator is more likely to be professionally installed…which may balance the pressures/temperatures (dangers) involved.

5 Likes

So did you pick a machine yet? We are currently looking at BizzyBee, Delta, and of course Pinnacle. Agile FFE won’t be releasing their unit until Fall if you can wait.

ive got a quote in for a 100L 3mm thick stainless Vacuum rated single jacketed boiler with agitation/mixing motor for 700 bucks shipped from china. add a drum heater with PID, pot still head, condenser and I’ve got a sweet reclaim setup.

3 Likes

Ive got my ffe arriving in the next two weeks. Cant beat that lead time

Check these out.
Steam generator.

Falling FIlm Evaporator
http://www.buflovak.com/products/evaporation-distillation-separation-solutions/falling-film-evaporator/

1 Like

If you dont mind would you mind sending specs on your ffe setup. With the 200 gallon reactor are you doing the decarb on there. We have 500k for a set up and ffe and back in a full system would be perfect.

Yes, we decarb in our system. The system has potential for crystallization, adsorbant scrubs, and more! multiple solvent types compatible

I sent you a dm

1 Like

I’m super interested too can you DM me more info?