High CBN Conversion Methods

Go live! When are you thinking

1 Like

yea fudge it, I’ll watch. I liek 2 lern

1 Like

I’ll be doing i2 synthesis this afternoon follow the ig my screen name with _

3 Likes

The paper I quoted a bit ago mentioned no reaction took place with d8 and chloranil. They stated only d9 reacted with chloranil in high yield. So it’s possible that nuking d8 as you described is what is giving your results :woman_shrugging:t2:. Might can try with d9 if you are curious

1 Like

Toluene is nice because it’s easy for solvent recovery. Xylene is the better option because of the high bp, but you’ll deal with longer solvent recovery.

If you’re feeling cute, try to dissolve it in DMF hehe

2 Likes

Of course no where has the shit I need lol

I remember finding this unusual book in my first research lab. Oh the many things it can do.

https://www.amazon.com/DMF-Dimethylformamide-Chemical-R-Kittila/dp/B004V7ESNS

3 Likes

I’m not aware of any toxic by products from quinones @anon93688.

Care to elaborate?

That looks gross. Is it green or black?

2 Likes

Purple, it’s not fully purged of iodine

1 Like

Are you saying that the method used by Pollastro et al (2018) does not actually convert THC/CBD to biologically active CBN at ~70% yield as claimed in the paper?

Converting Potassium Iodide to Iodine(I2):
“Try at your own risk”
“Full PPE gear needed”!

I. Put potassium iodide in beaker
II. Dissolve in distilled water
-fully homogenize solution
III. Put beaker in ice bath
-let cool for a few minutes
IV. Carefully add Hydrochloric Acid
(Full PPE bear for the remaining steps)!!
-small increments at a time.
-stir with glass rod
-add more HCI
-stir until mixture turns completely black
V. Pour top layer from HCI, Potassium Iodide, water reaction into a beaker of ice water.
-the bottom of the original beaker will have a remaining black sludge containing high purity Iodine(I2) conversion.
VI. Rinse Iodine,HCI solution with Distilled water and pour off top aqueous(water) layer.
-repeat 5-10 times.

Congrats!
You took cheap Potassium Iodide that you can legally buy in bulk and extracted the Iodine out needed for mass CBN conversions at a fair cost per Kilo/Liter. You can refine further and evaporate off remaining HCI if needed.

Crystallizing Iodine,HCI solution:
“Try at your own risk”
“Full PPE gear needed”!!!
Needs:
-round bottom flask that will cover the circumference of your Iodine beaker.
-hot plate
-Ice water

I. Put beaker containing Iodine on hot plate
-don’t turn on heat yet
II. Put round bottom flask filled with ice water over the circumference of you Iodine beaker.
III. Heat Iodine beaker slowly at low temps until Iodine evaporates.
-evaporated Iodine will condense and crystallize on the bottom of your round bottom flask.
IV. Turn off hot plate, remove all glassware and scrape all Iodine crystals into a sealed media bottle for safe storage.

Congrats!! Even more pure Iodine at low cost!
Then join GLG for CBN conversions via Iodine SOP’s.

Achieved and concluded this write up with…
@Cheebachiefextracts

Gang gang,
iLL Nye

:call_me_hand:t3::call_me_hand:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

20 Likes

Leveling up the gang one sop at a time you already know :call_me_hand:t3::100: I still want to try the other acids to see if we can find a cheaper route for it as well. But with this method we cut cost in half forsure.

6 Likes

@Cheebachiefextracts

Only thing I am visualizing when reading this write up. :joy::rofl::joy:

8 Likes

FUCK YES.

I mean we’re making i2

First post here, excited to participate! Nice work on CBN from safe food grade ingredients. Would you care to share any tips? I have a bunch of CBD distillate with about 3% THC I am experimenting with. The first experiment was on tails distillate that had about 44% CBD and 2.8% THC, 200 grams of T41 per 5 kg crude and ran in short path distillation boiling flask, at hotter than normal temps due to tails oil, and resulted in about 8% CBN and about 5% DELTA 8 and a lot of degradation/loss.
Before COA

After COA

The second experiment ran 70% CBD crude through the short path without cleaning remaining T41 out of the boiling flask resulting in about 2% CBN, 42% CBD, 14% delta9 and 12% delta8.
Before COA

After COA

I have been considering refulx in short path under atmospheric conditions at 180C for 8 hours with 5% T41 to try and convert as much as possible over to CBN, but unsure if this method or use of T41 is the best approach after reading up on these forums and would really appreciate any feedback or possible methods to experiment with.

Can you provide any info or does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on other methods that I could use in my food grade no flammable solvent style lab? I am fine with processes that take longer and very much appreciate any tips anyone can share.

Many thanks

1 Like

Bake it in an oven, for a long time

1 Like

I dont have an oven at my lab, but I do have a 12 liter short path- do you think it would work in short path?

I am thinking to refulx in short path under atmospheric conditions at 180C with stir bar at 2000 rpm for 8 hours with 5-10% T41? I was thinking the T41 acidified bentonite would cause an oxidization and acidification reaction and that if I kept temps around 180 it would not degrade like my first batch test did.

Or if an oven was used as suggested, what temp and how long would be suggested?

Many thanks

The oven thing works well to degrade THC, albeit prohibitively slow for scale, but it doesn’t all convert to CBN. I turned a 3% THC hemp distillate into about 2% CBN non detect this way, but it took 3 weeks lol and we had a good amount of cannabinoid loss.

1 Like

T41 alone won’t be enough

2 Likes