High CBN Conversion Methods

organic cell?

1 Like

Ozone with cleave your tri substituted olefin in cbd and thc. Ozone is too reactive for the process you wish to complete.

5 Likes

I was doing a little bit of side research on another subject and something looked familiar to me. Epoxidation of isosafrole is achieved through reflux in hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid. One route to CBN involves epoxidation of the double bond with further hydrolysis and dehydration resulting in CBN.

Seems like high concentration hydrogen peroxide and glacial acetic acid are easy to procure.

edits 1 & 2: I’ve also heard of formic acid being used for epoxidation in substitute of acetic acid. Acid and H2O2 are pre mixed while chilled on ice. Acid mixture was then added to the product in a solution of buffered DCM.

Do you think this could be another CBN route worth trying out?

15 Likes

@Ruwan I think you mentioned this not too long ago?

10 Likes

In terms of alternative oxydant , has someone tried H202 or even “oxygen singlet” (a special form of oxygen obtained by mixing H202 and NaClO4) ?

1 Like

This guy @eve was asking about it in another thread

Said he couldn’t get it to complete in a timely manner. Doesn’t mean it’s not worth investigating.

2 Likes

Iodine is a better leaving group than Bromine, you can swap the Br for I and make that bottom scheme more efficient. See: halex reaction / Finkelstein swap.

4 Likes

I am interested in what you have come up with in regards to the pH of the solution. Did you notice any difference in yield % when you altered the pH? Did you use any stabilizer to help maintain the pH? Have you seen major fluctuations in the pH of the solution pre-reaction compared to post-reaction? Also what is your starting material like? Distillate? Starting cannabinoid %?

25%20PM

Just spitballing on my original finding, but if one wishes to use d9 as starting material, is there any reason this wouldn’t work? Sounds easier than the sulfur & iodine methods.

9 Likes

Yep, the epoxide product of d9 is being formed by peroxysulfuric acid and some other reagents then catalyze a chain oxidation rxn. Idk, I know it’s happening though and it apparently works.

Edit: Chloranil is brilliant, I wanted to do this rxn with DDQ (a modern derfivative of Chloranil, but it’s was too damn expensive). I didn’t even think of Chloranil.

Chloranil

1 Like

I thought the same thing. DDQ I believe is expensive and has some degree of toxicity. Supposedly 5500 times more effective than chloranil and can also be recycled back into itself. But chloranil is moderately cheap and doesn’t seem to be too toxic. The byproduct has to be disposed of properly as it is some sort of environmental hazard. It also does not seem to be able to be recycled.

Not sure how one would distill the byproduct out (Tetrachlorohydroquinone).

2 Likes

A modified Wacker oxidation with benzoquinone might work as well.

1 Like

NASA has been reinventing the wheel for a long time and is constantly innovating. Their new titanium alloy wheels for the 2020 mars rover are looking pretty dope.

The day we stop reinventing the wheel and innovating is the day our civilization collapses.

9 Likes

I wish I had billions from the American tax payer.

5 Likes

You should not use quinones since they produce toxic byproducts. If you are comfortable with potentially ruining the market for CBN then go ahead and try this.

Also, I tried this method months ago since my graduate research involved oxidations. Chemical vendors will not let you have this molecule unless you have a good reason for it. It is considered a research chemical and must not be used in anything that will be consumed by customers. Please check the SDS for any other information.

https://www.cdhfinechemical.com/images/product/msds/37_1391757464_Chloranil-CASNO-118-75-2-MSDS.pdf

6 Likes

A graduate level chemist will tell you that if a procedure has been reported on a scaffold, you will use it before you start making things up. If it’s not reported for your desired scaffold, then you start to remove other functional groups to simplify the scaffold before inventing new processes.

Many reported processes work with minor adjustments. I spent 4 years figuring that out with a good range of academic projects.

5 Likes

Damn that is a bummer to read, was looking at this possibility, what toxic byproducts? Thanks!

You and I both know this is not true. DDQ is used in the production of many pharmaceuticals, and before they had DDQ commercially available, they used chloranil and other reagents that produce all sorts of “toxic byproducts.”
Source: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/cr040679f

Technically no one should be consuming any of these synthetic analogues unless they’re being produced in USFDA approved manufacturing laboratories.

But here we are so I bring you all this advice:
Know your substance.
Know your source.
and…
Know your chemist.

caron2006.pdf (1.7 MB)

9 Likes

Out of curiosity I tried chloranil with d8 in both toluene and xylene a few weeks ago. Toluene doesn’t seem hot enough and you do see quite a bit of conversion to CBN with xylene but it’s not clean with quite a few side products that will need quite a bit of chromatography.

3 Likes

If your using chloranil you need to be doing a full clean up anyways

2 Likes